myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
internet troll laws in question by Supreme Court
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: internet troll laws in question by Supreme Court Reply with quote

The cases of internet trolls disturbing forums has been decided in cases before Watts v. United States. 394 U.S 705 1969 ; we have one decided case that conflicts with it the right of the KKK to burn crosses, Virginia vs Black 538 US 343 (2003) that case the right wing supreme court justices said " the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross" what a bunch of idiot justices.. it is clear cross burning is to intimidate. But again right wingers are so stupid that they do not believe this to even their supreme court judges. Just shows how stupid as whole right wingers are.

http://firstamendment.jou.ufl.edu/pubs/ElonisAmicusBrief.pdf

Quote:
The face-to-face, political rally
rhetoric at issue in Watts has been supplanted by
anonymous trolls wreaking havoc on message boards
and individuals who, perhaps emboldened by too
much “digital courage,” treat the internet as a global
sounding board where anything goes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-to-consider-online-threats-case/2014/06/16/fa71bb78-f561-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html?wpisrc=nl_politics

Quote:
Elwood said courts have been divided on the issue since the Supreme Court’s 2003 decision in Virginia v. Black. The court invalidated Virginia’s broad prohibition on cross-burning because it said the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross.

Now comes the case of a obvious right winger...

Quote:
The brief said the court must consider “a new breed of threat cases informed by the internet, social media, and other revolutionary developments in communication that earlier cases never contemplated.”

In the case now before the supreme court this guy made his threats and even went to extremes like this...

Quote:
The court accepted the case of a Pennsylvania man who was sentenced to nearly four years in federal prison for posting the ominous photos and making the violent rants on his Facebook page against former co-workers, law enforcement officials and especially his estranged wife.

Anthony D. Elonis contends that the postings, which included the lyrics of songs by the rapper Eminem, were free speech — attempts to deal with the pain of his personal problems and not specific threats to harm anyone. The justices will consider the case in the term that begins in the fall.

Quote:
In one post, he mimicked a comedy troupe’s routine about what constituted a threat.

“Did you know that it’s illegal for me to say I want to kill my wife?” Elonis wrote. “Now it was okay for me to say it right then because I was just telling you that it’s illegal for me to say I want to kill my wife.”

Quote:
The court for years has held that “true threats” to harm another person are not protected speech under the First Amendment.

At Elonis’s trial, the jury was told that he could be found guilty if an objective person could consider his posts to be threatening. Elwood told the court that was the wrong standard and that the jurors should have been told to apply a subjective standard and decide whether Elonis meant the violent messages to be threats.

Elwood said courts have been divided on the issue since the Supreme Court’s 2003 decision in Virginia v. Black. The court invalidated Virginia’s broad prohibition on cross-burning because it said the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross

real-human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another case going to the supreme court. Seems when even making any kind of threat online to kill or such can be presently construed as a death threat from what I read here.

The person spending time in jail who was convicted claims he was just joking around and never really intended to harm the person he was convicted of making the threats about.... These were not even communicated to the person, they discovered them.. Oh that practical joker... Will the supreme court back it down to make it where the perpetrator had to make it directly? or make it even stronger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/magazine/do-online-death-threats-count-as-free-speech.html?emc=edit_ct_20141128&nl=technology&nlid=43747607

Do Online Death Threats Count as Free Speech?

Quote:
At the same time that he was posting about Tara, Elonis used Facebook to threaten his co-workers at an amusement park in nearby Allentown, where he worked. In one photo, from Halloween, Elonis held a fake knife to a co-worker’s neck. They were both dressed in costume, but Elonis added the caption, ‘'I wish.'’ His boss saw the image and caption and fired Elonis. He also called the F.B.I. In December 2010, Elonis was charged under a federal law that makes it a crime to use a form of interstate communication (like the Internet) to threaten to injure another person.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A troll is someone who posts something he knows is not true to elicit a response, thus wasting everyone's time. Get it? It's trolling, as in dragging a fishing lure behind a moving boat. It has nothing to do with threats, personal attacks, or whatever else you're rambling about.

The real threat of internet neutrality seems to be its political neutrality clause. i.e., no one can present one point of view without equal time from the other side. Its obvious intent is to shut down public discussion of politics so the only message we can hear is that of the DNC. You know, like Obama is incessantly trying to do with Fox News and TR.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
A troll is someone who posts something he knows is not true to elicit a response, thus wasting everyone's time.

Gosh, you mean just like YOU do, Mikey?

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has nothing to do with threats, personal attacks, or whatever else you're rambling about..

Correct. It has more to do with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia

Quote:
Paranoia (is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me"). Paranoia is distinct from phobias, which also involve irrational fear, but usually no blame. Making false accusations and the general distrust of others also frequently accompany paranoia. For example, an incident most people would view as an accident or coincidence, a paranoid person might believe was intentional.

Quote:

Symptoms
A popular symptom of paranoia is the attribution bias. These individuals typically have a biased perception of the world often exhibiting more hostile beliefs. A paranoid person may view someone else's accidental behavior as though it is with intent or threatening.
An investigation of a non-clinical paranoid population found that feeling powerless and depressed, isolating oneself, and relinquishing activities are characteristics that could be associated with those exhibiting more frequent paranoia.]Some scientists have created different subtypes for the various symptoms of paranoia including erotic, persecutory, litigious, and exalted In addition, Sigmund Freud's anal-erotic character triad is a salient symptom of the paranoid person. Some traits of this character can make group activities challenging which may lead to other social dilemmas.
Due to the suspicious and troublesome personality traits of paranoia, it is unlikely that someone with paranoia will thrive in interpersonal relationships. Most commonly paranoid individuals tend to be of a single status. According to some research there is a hierarchy for paranoia. The least common types of paranoia at the very top of the hierarchy would be those involving more serious threats. Social anxiety is at the bottom of this hierarchy as the most frequently exhibited level of paranoia.

Quote:

Abnormal reasoning
Many researchers like to believe that individuals with paranoia have some sort of cognitive deficit or impairment in reasoning ability. This appears to be a common theme among those exhibiting psychotic delusions.
An investigation involving one hundred delusional patients did actually reveal that these individuals may have a tendency to jump to conclusions rather than looking for other potential information

Quote:

Violence and paranoia
Having resentful emotions towards others and the inability to be able to understand what other people are feeling seem to have an association with violence in paranoid individuals. This was based on a study of paranoid schizophrenic's (one of the common mental disorders that exhibit paranoid symptoms) theory of mind capabilities in relation to empathy. The results of this study revealed specifically that although the violent patients were more successful at the higher level theory of mind tasks, they were not as good at being able to interpret others feelings.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pull no punches RR. Describes four obsessives on this forum to a T. (Expression first used 1607 in a play - 'The Woman Hater.' Laughing )

Perhaps said quartet, instead of screeching, wailing, and shaking their fists at human nature in general, should divert their hatred to something we all detest.

Tilting at windmills (real ones) keeps me sane and reasonable! ( Wink )
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no one else out to harm me from what I see.... takes plural...hahahah girgle you are so in lala land... Aggressive behavior of stalking is creepy... I believe a paranoid person would be going and gathering information on a person over a political debate.......

can you imagine a person going and gathering personal information on a another over a political difference so they can do their trolling and harassment more effectively..

seems ones persons definition was not backed up by much. here is what the estemed wiki labels it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

trolling wiki

Psychological characteristics
Quote:
Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and machiavellianism.[37][38] The 2013 study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities[37] and the 2014 study suggested that the noxious personality characteristics known as the "dark triad of personality" should be investigated in the analysis of trolling, and concluded that trolling appears "to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism."[38] Their relevance is suggested by research linking these traits to bullying in both adolescents and adults. The 2014 study found that trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting hot-button issues to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner. If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, "Do not feed the trolls!" The 2013 study found that trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others who think they are successful but who fall below their standards.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it in lala land Baja.

You've inspired me to seek out and re-read that witty Samuel Butler poem about that irascible old knight Sir Hudibras, who was certain he was never ever at fault, in anything he said or did.

The two lines which originally stuck in my mind as great images were -

'and blaspheme custard through the nose' (concerning religion)

and, 'his brain outweighed his rage by half a gram.'

He spent his life tilting at windmills too - should have been alive today!! Laughing Laughing
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"La La" Ventana, Baja, Mexico is his official place of residence.....or at least that was what my "ooga booga spies" told me.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
"La La" Ventana, Baja, Mexico is his official place of residence.....or at least that was what my "ooga booga spies" told me.
troll post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: