myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Portland, need advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Windance consignment list. They have a LOT of used boards with a lot of life left in them for 1/3 the cost of a new board. You could pick up a couple for less than the price of one. I've bought and sold several boards through them....
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
make one to suit what you want to do with it. Not what's fashionable this year.

I'm the last person who'd buy anything based on fashion (or trends in general), whether it's boards, cars, or statins. In fact, I often rant against trends unless they're proven valid. I've had and seen far too many total custom boards, from many shapers from the Gorge to the east coast to offshore, fail -- sometimes drastically -- to meet buyers' expectations. My success rate with well-researched and personally vetted off-the-shelf boards, plus some total customs built for (and sometimes rejected by) others but vetted by me, has exceeded my and others' reported satisfaction with total customs by a huge margin. And if I decide a board isn't what I wanted, I can get my money back at another swap by finding and helping a buyer with different performance preferences.

After all, if a board's good enough to satisfy and bear the names of the world's greatest shapers and riders, who am I to improve on their product? I just research their shapes and reviews, snap up the ones that look and sound good, test drive them, and keep the cream of the crop according to my own personal preferences. That lets me choose among dozens of great names and philosophies, try out a dozen or more boards each year (bought five at one swap meet), test them for a day or a season, and keep the ones that best match my preferences, all for peanuts. I can't lose, there's no waiting time, and I'll match the grins dozens of my boards put on my face with any grins on the planet.

And that's all relevant to this thread and the OP because it's a great example of what awaits him if he chooses to pursue it when he moves to Portlandia.
Juani222

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great stuff guys... It looks like for my weight and style, I'll have to go with two boards, one in the 70s for Gorge days, and one in the 80s for the coast and lighter Gorge days.
Agree with Isobars about digging for gold at swap meets.

Keep the good advice coming...

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan,
We're going to miss your stoke here in Seattle Smile

But, glad to see you're getting some great advice... for a hi-wind quiver in the Gorge.

You're going to love getting lots of big days in there. And you'll make a couple of your east coast friend's envious of your new "address".

See you later this summer !!
Greg Smile
Juani222

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg! I'll keep in touch with the Seattle crowd through NW windtalk, just post when you go down to the Gorge and I'll join you!!!
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think in percentages.

Most of my sailing in the gorge is on a board that floats 95% of my weight.

When the wind is strong and consistent, I will go down to 90% floatation.

Ocean wave sailing I like 100% floatation, more in light winds.
ascott72

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 175 lbs and have lived in Portland for years. I have 2 boards that I use most of the time that cover me for most conditions: 112 liter for 5.5 and up, 85 liter for everything below. If you are going to be sailing Dougs and the Hatchery all the time, you can go even smaller.
nada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all - welcome.. it's a move you won't regret!

Lots of good tips here, but also be sure to check out the recent thread on reducing board quiver size as there are be sure to a lot of similar thoughts on this topic:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28924

I live in PDX and have sailed the Gorge for last 16 years. Here's what I've found:

- two boards is a basic quiver..no getting around it. At your weight a 75 and an 85-90 will let you get out there on most of the sailable days.

- Yes it is windy here. Some days insanely so. But don't be overly optimistic. As noted above, unless you go out East (100+ mile trip to Maryhill/Wall one way from downtown PDX) it is going to be gusty. Very gusty. A 10 knot window between lulls and gust is generally "really good"; 15 knots is common, 20 knots stupid but amazing how many guys will still go out.

- If you are doing day trips, just the driving alone will keep you focused on the corridor to Doug's unless you like the flat water lawn mowing at Stevenson or go weekend camping at Rosy. I've found that a control-oriented board with a bit more cork in it really helps in the lulls…you can go down a sail size for the gusts and still be planing most of the time due to the extra float.

- FWIW, I am 185 and have a 90 and a 77 and sail an obscene amount for a working adult. I would say I am on my 90 about 85% of the time, but have multiple fin setups to extend the range.

Hope this helps...
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move to hood river and become a wind snob. One board - two sails. Unless of course your girl friend sails. Then you need a bunch of gear. LOL
surfersteve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas is $4 a gallon. Many of us who live here have driven miles with the wrong gear. All the talk about gusty conditions is spot on. You need two boards unless you won't bother driving unless the forecast is a lock for 4.2 or better. Many times the forecast is off by 10+ mph, so driving for 4.0 and sailing 5.2 doesn't happen with one board and 2 sails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: