myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need MORE input: Moving Wall sensor to island launch site?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not move it.

I have seen it to where you had to swim out past the island numerous times when it was perfect 4.0

We all know how to read the current sensor.... Don't drive for 25.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wyatt,

I agree, it seems like you almost always have to swim past the island since no wind touches the water surface due to the rocks just upwind.

But even on 4.0 winds when everyone is swimming out there is lots of wind at the top of the island. And there would be a heck of a lot more at the top of a sensor mast.

Fast forward this video to 1:40, 2:07, 3:12, 3:40 and especially 5:25 to see the island grass and shrubs getting blasted:

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5825871

I also agree with you... "Don't drive for 25." for the old Maryhill sensor we all know how to read.

The problem is that the new Wall Sensor on M40 is sometimes showing 32 knots and you can not even launch at the Wall.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
timsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Don't move it..... Reply with quote

We all know how to the read the sensor. And my skunk rate for driving out to the wall is very very low.

Maryhill bridge wsw
Wall marker 30 avg

I'm driving....

I don't think it's all that difficult. My vote is to keep it. The marker is currently in a very good spot which is why it was originally put there. Sure it reads 5 high no big deal. If the direction is good it's very accurate.

Thanks

Last edited by timsaunders on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
drblanke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a cam at the rock island would be better than any wind meter.

Let me see the swell and I can tell you what the wind is like.
kenmacdonald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: YES on the island launch site sensor M41 the wall Reply with quote

a sensor there would be great; AND a video cam if possible; the more info from that stretch of river, the better!
DougofGD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live out in the Eastern Gorge. I go to Rufus or the wall to sail and then realize the wind direction is just a little off allot.
The terrain in this area is unique and warrants an another sensor. If not 2 sensors at least move Wall Sensor M40!
brettn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like we'd lose that much intel if you moved one of those sensors, since they're currently right near each other, and both are on the Oregon side of the river. In Wyatt's scenario where a bit of a swim was involved, wouldn't the proposed Washington sensor show at least something if there's a sweet 4.0 sesh to be had?
Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to try. I've burned a lot of time and gas to get there, only to find it's "gone north" on me. It gets expensive, and the emotional toll is sometimes more than I can bear. I think I have ptsd from it. Please give the new spot a try.
rlshirey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Move the Wall Marker Reply with quote

I can't find any correlation to the wind on the water at the Wall and the Wall Marker wind sensor. Where as the Mary Hill sensor seems to read 3 mph high consistently, the Wall marker sensor never seems to correlate to what's on the water. Move it to another location.
telus01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote to move to M41. M40 readings are not representative of what is going on at all. We ignore M40 numbers and just use Maryhill. Rufus could be OK if it did not give strange readings like M40. Having Maryhill and a second site on the Washington side would be best.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote move it or put one at Rufus so we can see the distance change through the whole stretch and we will figure out the new system as we figured out the one we have now. Either would probably be better and
thanks for all the work you do and the way you are always trying to improve things and ask the users for their input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: