myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Testosterone replacement therapy, no not spam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

The other way to assess it is at autopsy.

And when they do yours, you'll no doubt report the results.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has had two heart attacks already, I would suggest reading "Before the Heart Attacks" by H. Robert Superko. I read the book after my first heart attack based on a recommendation from my cardiologist.

Superko was one of the founders of the Berkeley Heart Lab, and he has done a lot of study of blood chemistry, and its contribution to heart disease. After reading the book, I had my blood analyzed at the Berkeley Heart Lab. It turned up a number of indicators in my blood that make me susceptible to heart disease. Some of these are genetic in nature, so there's no getting away from risk. All I can do is take my drugs, live a active and healthy lifestyle, and hope for the best.

While all this is a bit off track on the testosterone question, it does suggest that being active and exercising is a good thing. Good reason to continue windsurfing and pushing the boundaries physically. The excitement and fun of it masks the work and exercise inherent in the sport.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
indulge in heavy weight lifting in old age to prevent muscle wastage ... Endurance cycling (road bike and mountain bike) has adequately increased the size and stamina of my leg muscles ...
At no time, other than occasional brief spurts over obstacles, is maximum strength needed. You would run into the red and 'bonk' ... completed (road bike) a 107 mile course ... by spinning up the climbs, not dieseling those muscles. At no time do i recall needing more strength. ... endurance far exceeds the need for strength in the old, and that comes from hours and hours of continual effort. If you believe your short maximum strength gym lifting sessions would give you that endurance ... you should put it to the test by riding a 100 miler in hilly country. I think you'd be found wanting

Therein lies a big part of the reason posts are often long; if I don't cover all the bases, many readers cover them for me by presuming things I left out for brevity and/or by adding comments experts disagree with. I could write many chapters on this topic alone, but that's already been done by researchers and athletes alike. I find their knowledge extremely useful.

I would expend the same amount of effort in educating myself before experimenting with drugs as powerful as TRT. There are reasons our T falls with age, and messing with Mother Nature is very risky without medically valid necessity.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother smoked most of her life and drank like a fish. At 98 her body failed with her mind very intact. A windsurfer she was not, but I think too much exercise is not healthy. Most people can stay in shape with modest effort and without being obsessed. Just regular hard walking can be enough.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Experts' are like economists; they rarely agree. What's in vogue today will be ridiculed tomorrow. (Endless obvious examples, especially as regards diet.) I find your position on 'experts' a bit ironic. Isn't your position with regard to the global warming concensus amongst most of the worlds 'expert' climatologists that they don't know what they are talking about?? (But, of course, fitness 'experts' are different - they write dozens of books!

But you miss the point. Many of us mere mortals have found by life experience (with observation of what others do) what WORKS for us. I really don't care if there could be a slightly better way because I'm happy and content with what, at my age, I'm adequately equipped to do. I will continue the voyage of discovery, MY way.

If my endurance plugging method leads to premature death (99 instead of 100) you can say 'I told you so.' But being an atheist, I won't know anything about it, because it will 'whammo, lights out!' (The end!)
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I embellished my story a little. Grandma May was my step grandmother,not my grandmother. She lived to 98 as a smoker and drinker with her mind and wit intact. She was a fantastic person. From Crawfordsville Indiana. My real grandmother was not as fortunate. She lived to 101. She never drank or smoked but loved classical music and art. In her last 10 years she lost most of her cognitive capacity. God bless her soul. From Milwaukee, WI.

Moral of the story...Genetics and lifestyle.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW ... the safest, cheapest, and far and above most broadly effective way (i.e., FAR greater benefits than just increased HGH) I know of to increase our HGH is the way everyone from Neanderthals to Roger Bannister did it: HIIT. Google it, do it, and you will fugheddabout that "aerobics" stuff.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be clear testosterone replacement therapy isn't some exotic drug, it's synthesized naturally occurring human testosterone administered to bring the bodies level back to where it was when we were much younger. "Steroids" are testosterone that has been moleculary altered a bit to minimize negative side effects. Same deal with human growth hormone which I would probably want to combine with the testosterone.
It all comes down to are you content to slowly and incrementally decline in your athletic and manly abilities and mindset or do you want to hang onto that as long as possible?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm interested in your real life experiences with a testosterone program, you have to remember what your body tells you. If you are getting the signals that windsurfing is no longer any fun, it can mean that your body is sending you the message that it isn't up for the task. In the past, I hit the wall with surfing and found it tough to compete with guys 20 years younger. After a while, I wasn't awash in the stoke anymore, and ultimately fun suffered. Fortunately, windsurfing filled the void.

Will drug supplements fuel your drive and physical daring? I guess time will tell.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'are you content to slowly and incrementally decline in your athletic and manly abilities and mindset?'

YES, because anybody who denies the obvious (the human ageing proicess) and imagines that ageing need not prevent you from competing at world class level in athletics (70 year olds win the Tour de France, and run sub 4 minute miles) is simply delusional, or bonkers! They are on a par with vain women who use batteries of creams and lotions to pretend they can hold back the ravages of time.

What some seem to be wanting is chemical or genetic engineering of the human body for eternal (till death) youth. But it may surprise some to know that one of the blessings of the ageing process is the ability of the mind (it also ages) to accept those limitations, and actually LIKE it.

It's a form of contentment, exclusive to age and experience of life (thank goodness we've left that part behind), which clearly eludes some obsessives! (They must really be pissed off!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: