myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui in August!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbauer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Maui in August! Reply with quote

Anybody going to Maui this August??? We are going and would love to meet up with other people while we are there.

Jeff and Barb Bauer

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
pbiltoft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff & Barb- I live on Maui full time and sail at Kanaha Uppers or Spreks just about every good day. This year the wind has been less reliable than in the past three so I would encourage you to have back-up activities in mind such as SUP, snorkeling, mountain biking or tennis. If you want to exchange contact info please send an email message to me: info@vintagevibeguitars.com Best wishes.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there from late July through August 8th. I'll send a PM with my contact info if you'll be there in early August. Be open minded to sailing with larger freeride or FSW type boards and a 6 or 6.5 sail. Many sailors seem to pass on sailing if they can't use a 5.5 or smaller. I've sailed Kihei and Kanaha quite a few times with just a handful of other sailors with steady 6.0 winds. Also, always check the Kihei wind conditions if not much is happeneing on the north shore - chances are it's good there.

Rob
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui has been light and kind of iffy of late, I'm told by folks there, but it usually steadies out and fills in in July and August. Two things do come to mind; first, the north pacific high has been getting interfered with by fronts rolling through to Seattle and Vancouver. Second, it is becoming El Nino which can have a dampening effect on Maui. Have a great time and keep an open mind about other activities, however, most of the time there is usable wind even when the forecast says no. You may know all of this already. If so sorry.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we can see from the past full month of wind graphs for Kanaha -- indeed there have been a few 'dry' patches in June. But as stated here, some great days -- plus many more if you're not allergic to 6.0 conditions.

http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/432

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.52.26 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.62 KB
 Viewed:  11337 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.52.26 AM.png

3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Maui 2014 = On Golden Pond Reply with quote

Maui has has a very geriatric feel to it for about 8 months now - like "On Golden Pond" The light winds makes fish viewing while slogging rather fun but do expect to be passed by the faster sea turtles and SUPs.

Or if you are light weight and don't mid rigging gear fit for "Golden Pond" than you will have a lot of fun. Of course that is just the trend which we all hope changes soon. Good luck

Aloha - Ya'll
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: