myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin recomendations, three boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k5endrwh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Fin recomendations, three boards Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
many MFC standard fins are available. many ames fins, hydrotechs, etc. MFC has some sensational models of late.

John,

Weed fins, yes I have one and use it only in severe weeds. I really like MFC products and want to talk with someone really familiar with their line, I think they do not have a direct phone line where I can bug them but I'm working on that. If you are familiar with them and can comment on the below please do.

So I am a bump and jump'er which translated from my earlier life would be "freeride" slalom. I need a turny fin that can make good upwind ground. Mostly inland bay sailing "intracoastal" waters with occasional bouts in the small but nasty Gulf of Mexico.

For the very lightwind setup I am looking at the 46cm Freerace (7.5, 135L, 8-10 kts, 150#s) -- also wondering about the KP-RC Race, same size. I have been known to rig a 9.0 in desperate times but it's rare.

"Better" light wind ~14 kts with 6.5 on my freestyle skate I am looking at the 36 or 34 Liquid Pro or the K-One FR, not really sure the differences in those two. I would also use same fin with a 5.8 on this or my smaller 85 l board depending upon water condition.

Winds over 17 kts I will be on the 85 l with a 5 or 4.2 so I tend to think a 28 cm Liquid Pro is perfect.

thanks,

rh
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fin recomendations, three boards Reply with quote

I use 24-28 cm wave or B&J fins on my smaller wave boards on lakes. I rip downwind often, so getting back upwind is critical. The primary equipment key to getting upwind, IMO, is POWER, and lots of it (just one of many reasons I rig big). On top of that, bigger and straighter fins help, as does technique.

I don't know how anybody gets away with those tiny little 22 cm fins unless they WANT to spin, as with freestyle tricks. WSMag tests of wave and B&J boards often said, "Comes with a 22 cm fin, but if you want to get upwind, you'll need more fin".

Specifically,
k5endrwh9481 wrote:
Board 2 - 99 liter ... been using the little 21 that came with it ... Sail sizes on this board could be the Ezzy 6.5 free ride to wave panthers in 5.8 and 5.0 in winds from 12-18 kts.

At those average wind speeds I'd be using at the very least a 7.5 and >30 cm of fin, and would be planing only in the upper half of that range.

k5endrwh9481 wrote:
Board 3 - 85 liter Quattro freestyle ... 5.8 and 5.0 ...the mfc stock 21 or so fin is good, but again, it won't creep upwind against a current. Winds on this board can be 15-25 (then I go home).

At 15-25 kts average windspeed I'd be on my 6.2, 96 liters, 30 cm fin, and be planing in the upper half of that range.

That's with no current. Current with the wind = bigger everything, current against the wind maybe a bit smaller.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin recomendations, three boards Reply with quote

k5endrwh9481 wrote:
I really like MFC products and want to talk with someone really familiar with their line, I think they do not have a direct phone line where I can bug them but I'm working on that.

I tried to contact Pio Marasco at a couple of MFC email addresses without success. Apparently he has moved on to other endeavors. You might try Facebook. I have to say I'm surprised that Spennie hasn't chimed in yet (I'm pretty sure he has a bot that alerts his cell phone whenever anyone mentions MFC on the forum.) He and his lovely wife Debi advised me on the purchase of my SC Weed Wave.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "Beach Ambassador" for MFC, because I bought a couple of their fins, and they were so good I decided to go all out. I currently have about 12 or so MFC fins, so here's my take on things.

For the 135 X 70 XXX with a 7.5 I would definitely go for an MFC RC2 in 38-40 cm. Lots of people use gigantic fins to make up for bad technique, but if you go much bigger than this you're going to start railing at high speeds, never a good thing. Could probably get away with a 36 if you know what you're doing. Haven't tried the KP RC.

The 21 on the Skate is too small for sure, especially with a 6.5. The Liquid Pros seem to have a lot of lift for the size, so you could use a 28 to 34 L.P. and get a lot of range covered, or get both sizes. If the Quatro has the same box you'd have a nice crossover there. Might even be able to pop the 34 on the XXX when it gets really windy, again assuming matching fin boxes.

When it starts really blowing and you get down to your 85 Quatro, you may want to go to a true wave fin. I'm a huge fan of the 211 series, they have quite a bit of area for the size, which is great for getting upwind. Granted, not the fastest fin MFC makes, but do you really want to go 35 in 3' chop? Try a 25 or 27. My wife absolutely LOVES the SC Weed for all conditions. I've only used it in very high winds, since they only go up to 27 and I'm a big guy, but I must say it's pretty awesome, weeds or no weeds. It doesn't slant way back like most weeders, so it doesn't have any of those nasty characteristics JINGEBRITSEN spoke of.

Hope this helps you decide! Lots of good fins out there, and MFC is right in there with the best of them.

k5endrwh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I'm a "Beach Ambassador" for MFC, because I bought a couple of their fins, and they were so good I decided to go all out. I currently have about 12 or so MFC fins, so here's my take on things.

For the 135 X 70 XXX with a 7.5 I would definitely go for an MFC RC2 in 38-40 cm. Lots of people use gigantic fins to make up for bad technique, but if you go much bigger than this you're going to start railing at high speeds, never a good thing. Could probably get away with a 36 if you know what you're doing. Haven't tried the KP RC.

The 21 on the Skate is too small for sure, especially with a 6.5. The Liquid Pros seem to have a lot of lift for the size, so you could use a 28 to 34 L.P. and get a lot of range covered, or get both sizes. If the Quatro has the same box you'd have a nice crossover there. Might even be able to pop the 34 on the XXX when it gets really windy, again assuming matching fin boxes.

When it starts really blowing and you get down to your 85 Quatro, you may want to go to a true wave fin. I'm a huge fan of the 211 series, they have quite a bit of area for the size, which is great for getting upwind. Granted, not the fastest fin MFC makes, but do you really want to go 35 in 3' chop? Try a 25 or 27. My wife absolutely LOVES the SC Weed for all conditions. I've only used it in very high winds, since they only go up to 27 and I'm a big guy, but I must say it's pretty awesome, weeds or no weeds. It doesn't slant way back like most weeders, so it doesn't have any of those nasty characteristics JINGEBRITSEN spoke of.

Hope this helps you decide! Lots of good fins out there, and MFC is right in there with the best of them.

I like your comment on the 135 XXX -- I am using the oem MFC Liquid 42 which in now way resembles the modern Liquid Pro (leaner) and it does cause some serious railing at my lightweight in powered 7.5 conditions. Something smaller sounds good, the 40 cm might be ideal.

Sailed the Skate two days ago in 12-20 with a Curtis 34 freeride and not terribly turny but it does go upwind just fine (even if it's not wound up), it's just...blah.

I standardized boards some years ago and use powerbox only so I can mix sails/boards/fins as needed for changing conditions. I realize at this point I have broken my favorites (the lovely submerged bay debris) and have an inconsistent and terribly overlapping group of misfits.

Appreciate the MFC info!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k5endrwh9481 wrote:

I like your comment on the 135 XXX -- I am using the oem MFC Liquid 42 which in now way resembles the modern Liquid Pro (leaner) and it does cause some serious railing at my lightweight in powered 7.5 conditions. Something smaller sounds good, the 40 cm might be ideal.

I wonder if you made a mistake. I go down from 46 to 40 with Liquid Pro-like fins. This gets rid of serious railing in powered 7.5 for my 210 lbs. If the 42 is leaner than a modern 40, the gap seems too small to me.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder: I weigh 215 and am well over 6' tall, and my largest fin is a 40, which I use when it's light and I'm trying to get my 7.8 NX race sail going. I actually prefer a 38 with my 7.8. You said earlier that you sometimes use a 40 with a 6.0, which tells me that you rely on a giant fin to get you going. Not criticizing, just stating a fact, if you like to sail that way, go for it! Just remember that fins are drag, no matter how good it is, and if you can sail a smaller one you'll go faster. That's one of the reasons I chose MFC, they seem to supply a lot of lift for their size, and very rarely spin out.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie: You live in an area blessed with more wind! The 46 is balanced with my 9.0 sail, the one I use the most.

But I agree with you and I tend to use large fins. I'm also lazy and I will ride the 46 with 7.5 if it's already there, but the 40 is better. I prefer the 46 only when the wind is super puffy for ease of start on a plane. And I prefer riding a 28 on-shore wave with my 6.0.

My point was that if you are overfinned so much that the board is lifting you, you can reduce the fin size a lot, not only 2 cm, but maybe 4 cm. To get that type of lift, I need to be on my 7.5 quite well powered with my 46, and in nice flat water. If I switch down to the 40, everything is fine, and I agree that I would be even faster on a even smaller fin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: