myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Outta here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Mr g ... Another thing about that weak economy . I was just in your old hood last week, it is anything BUT endlessly weak , it seems quite strong in northern Virginia . You should get outside more often!!

Boggsy My "old" hood? Do you know something I don't? Hope you caught the President's fundraiser in your hood this week. If you missed it, don't worry, he'll be back in a few weeks for another. Not much going on in the world at the moment to keep him working his day job full time.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
many of us fall into the trap of relying on opinions developed only by reading our favourite news source or study ...

Beats the alternative (anecdotal happenstance) as long as we vet our news and study sources. Many of us, however, fall into the trap of relying on opinions developed by talking to like-minded associates. I'd think the VA was peachy keen if I got my opinions from the veterans at my pretty good local VA clinic, and I'd think Israel was the bad guy if I listened to the White House and the equally anti-semitic alphabetic media.

$47,000,000 of our tax dollars to HAMAS? WTF is wrong with this administration?

Being overly tolerant.
As GT said a few posts back:
"Living in a multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-religious free society demands tolerance and acceptance of others views, from ALL."
Which I totally disagree with, that would include being tolerant of peoples that are intolerant, ie. Hamas, ISIS, Taliban and the like.
Being tolerant of the intolerant has to be one of the lamest things going on with the society of today.
Sorry Nirvana was just a grunge band, and nothing more, it will never be achieved.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess your "current" hood...Northern Virginia. The restaurants, the hotels, the streets were PACKED!!! Houses in Falls Church and McClean FLYING off the market in record time. Down on the OBX, rental houses in Corolla , Nags Head, and Duck, PACKED with vacationers...supermarkets overflowing with Summer Sun worshippers spending thousands of dollars on food, drink, and gas for their Escalades..
Facebook now worth $200B, thats more than IBM. Google $415B, Apple $585B. Thats 1.2TR of market value, or almost 10% of the entire S&P 500..3 companies, pretty incredible, and it looks like the economy is benefitting from this wealth. Hardly a little bubble , in a small corner of the country.
Gotta go...S&P 500 2000 watch !!!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add a little depth to your analysis. DC area real estate picking up? Yes. Low interest rates and pent up demand. My house, and most others, worth at least 10% less than 6 years ago. OBX busy? Yes. It's the summer! However, there is no doubt that the OBX has benefited from people who would previously taken a more expensive vacation overseas, but now choose to drive to save money. Property prices down about 40% from 6 years ago.......activity very slow. Allegheny mountains (SW Va).......property prices down more than 50% from 6 years ago. Activity.......glacial.

This is a big country. Most people do not share your excitement or the frenzied activity of Silicon Valley. And remember, Google, Apple etc have enjoyed great success, but they didn't build it!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Gybe...I appreciate the input, I love anecdotal information...it all goes into the hopper... I would not diminish for one second, the incredible run the three companies I referenced have had. Not only in terms of market cap, but in terms of changing peoples lives. The world lives on its iPhone, Google, and Facebook. We search for wind on the iPhone, share the details on Facebook, then Google information on political events to embarass anonymous windsurfers on the internet...
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony is rich:

Quote:
but they didn't build it!

Oh so true. A public private partnership made possible the entrepreneurship that we see now in businesses built on the internet. Same is true of businesses that rely on the government-built transportation system--and those that rely on leasing minerals from government-owned lands throughout the world.

I thought mrgybe predicted that Apple was heading for a fall?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just had a few days of glorious old fashioned (youthful memories) wall to wall, clear blue sky hot (leg toning Laughing ) sunshine, with light, pleasant, wafting summer breezes and scents. (Must clearly be this global warming, I suppose!)

Had a perfect road bike day yesterday over the 'Cote de Buttertubs', and the 'Cote de Grinton' passes (Tour de France route) shedding half a stone of sweat, and wearing out my right elbow joint waving (and grinning) at half the countries road cyclists doing similar, as I hurtled down the sweeping twisty roads of the passes, at damned silly speeds (touched my favourite 50), and cornering like a lunatic.

In short, I was once again a carefree happy teen, revelling in the sheer joy (brown sun toned legs as of old) of this wonderful thing called life!

This morning, I read the latest angry, back biting additions to the first three threads, and made a decision. I'm out of here, also!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,
You'll be missed. I've always enjoyed your outlook.

Your biking story inspired me to get back on my bike this morning. Putting work ahead of health has got me out of shape. My "moving average" was down 8 km/hr....yikes!

All the best.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second term of Democrat presidency-check
Stock market on fire- check
Time for Republicans to file articles of impeachment-check

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/25/cnnorc-poll-majority-say-no-to-impeachment-and-lawsuit/?hpt=hp_t2
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, A rare voice of reason on this forum. See you on the other side. I'll put a good word in for you with the Boss!

Boggsy, Homework assignment for the weekend. 1) Read news beyond The Silicon Valley Girl Gazette 2) Buy a deeply discounted seat for the next SFO Presidential fundraiser (one sixth the asking price).......these will give you a better feel for how this Presidency is going. Finally, look up the meaning of 'anecdotal".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: