myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Outta here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal, as in "my house is down 10% from 6 years ago". Here's your homework for the weekend. Try and do some research and tell me what percent of the S&P 500's total market cap is based in the Bay Area. After you've done that, determine what percent of the US population lives in the Bay Area. Then compare the two.
BTW- I think the presidency is going pretty well. But, I'm biased given my profession.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fascinating as the population of the Bay area may be, it has little bearing on Presidential performance........although it does seem that even SFO residents are finally tiring of backing a losing horse. Your boyish enthusiasm for the Bay area and the stock markets are understandable given that you have undoubtedly profited handsomely from both. Try to understand, however, that there is a larger world out there where millions are under threat and looking for global leadership to ease their desperate plight. A President pimping for donor contributions while the world burns is not giving those millions much solace.

My observations with regard to the housing markets where I own property are factual, not anecdotal. By way of contrast...."The restaurants, the hotels, the streets were PACKED!!! Houses in Falls Church and McClean FLYING off the market in record time."........now that's anecdotal!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G...I know it must be upsetting to see the president fundraising. But it is the sytem we have, and until it changes , politicians will all play on the same field. Would you show up for a gun fight with a pocket knife? I didnt think so....I'll let Sam Alito know you are concerned.
BTW- until your house actually sells, the data doesn't exist, until then its anecdotal...or un-scientific. Not sure what you are arguing...are you saying the economy in Northern Virginia is NOT strong? I would disagree.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...there is a larger world out there where millions are under threat and looking for global leadership to ease their desperate plight."

Beating the drums for some macho military action where Americans go in and kick some foreign ass and save the world? Who's the first target? Putin?

Seriously, what do you think the Obama Administration be doing and why? It's pretty easy to be an arm chair quarterback finding fault in every turn of events. What actions would you take, how would you sell it to the world, and how do you suggest that we pay for it?

Of course, you won't answer any of these questions, because that would require much more thought than whining about how much you don't like President Obama, and what he does or doesn't do.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Mr G...I know it must be upsetting to see the president fundraising. But it is the sytem we have, and until it changes , politicians will all play on the same field.

You may recall that it was Senator Obama who changed "the system" forever by refusing public financing.......the first candidate to do so since campaign finance laws were passed.......in favor a massive private funding. In my view it is thoroughly inappropriate for the President to be yukking it up with rich people while our closest Mid-East ally is in the midst of a war, there are bodies strewn across a field in Ukraine, and there is a situation at our border that he himself describes as a crisis. I can recall no other President, or world leader behaving this way.
boggsman1 wrote:
BTW- until your house actually sells, the data doesn't exist, until then its anecdotal...or un-scientific.

Boggsy, Boggsy........please.

N.Va's economy is not strong. It is OK, but with relatively modest growth. The point is, you insist on pointing to a few hotspots (N.Va is certainly not one) while ignoring the macro stats on GDP, employment, debt etc. The US economy is not strong by almost every measure despite your charming enthusiasm.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Orleans burned, W strummed his guitar. I will refresh your memory of bad political optics if you need be. If you want to reverse Citizens United, and go to an ALL public funding system, you and I would be on the same page. I suspect you will say its against the 1st Amendment.
Secondly, the president and I will both be on Martha's Vineyard in August, if I run into him at the Bite in Menemsha, I will voice your concerns.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see George W. Bush as a 2000 Presidential Candidate saying to his peeps:

“This is an impressive crowd: The ‘haves’ and ‘have mores’. Some people call you ‘the elite’. I call you ‘my base’”.

http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers.com/2013/06/george-w-bush-base-haves-have-mores/

Back in October 2000, then-Gov. George W. Bush regaled the crowd at the Al Smith dinner. "This is an impressive crowd—the haves and the have-mores,” Bush joked, adding, “Some people call you the elites; I call you my base." But 12 years after Bush’s moment of candor and four years after John McCain lost track of how many homes he owns, Mitt Romney is making the last two Republican presidential nominees look like working-class heroes.

The three $75,000-a-head fundraisers he held in the Hamptons last weekend were just the latest sign that Mitt Romney is chronically out of touch.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/10/1108378/-The-Haves-the-Have-Mores-and-Mitt-Romney

Business as usual for both sides. It is more than a bit hypocritical to object only to one parties' fund raising activity. This demonstrates your lack of objectivity and your agenda.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
GT,
You'll be missed. I've always enjoyed your outlook.

mrgybe wrote:
GT, A rare voice of reason on this forum.

My impression, too, initially ... until he began the baseless personal attacks which in my book offset and undermined his outlook on life. When it became obvious he was neither going to stop them nor try to defend them, and because that's still the most harmful and egregious behavior I regularly see on the internet, he was ... outta here.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. G...because age ,and memory do not cooperate with each other....I've attached a couple examples when really bad stuff was happening and a president did some fund raising.

On March 2, 2004, suicide bombers conducted coordinated attacks on Shiite shrines in Baghdad and Karbala that coincided with the holy day of Ashura. Nearly 200 people were killed, which made it the deadliest day in Iraq since Bush had declared major combat operations over. The next evening, Bush flew out to Los Angeles for a fundraiser, where he joked about Arnold Schwarzenegger’s role in Terminator 3.

Just over a week later, on March 11, 2004, terrorists exploded bombs on commuter trains in Madrid in a coordinated attack that left nearly 200 people dead and over 1,800 wounded. That morning, Bush condemned the attacks. That evening, he flew to New York for a Bush-Cheney campaign fundraiser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, thanks for your input. Your voice of reason will be missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: