myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The End of an Era at Sherman Island
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: The End of an Era at Sherman Island Reply with quote

It’s the end of an era.

Just got back from 12 days at Rio Viento RV Park in the Delta, and here’s my first-hand impressions: They’ve ruined it. I’ve sailed the Delta for about 20 years, anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks a year almost every year, the first 10 at Powerlines, the last 10 at Rio Viento, but now I’m going to have to think hard about going back next year.

It’s the windmills, they’ve killed the wind. You might look at the graphs and think I’m crazy, until you go there and try to sail it. If the graph says 18 – 24, now that means 3 minutes of 18 and 3 minutes of 24, a big difference from before, and very difficult to sail. Don’t believe me? Fourth of July weekend, and Powerlines was deserted. Rio Viento had about half the number of windsurfers from previous years, mostly regulars who keep their trailers there. Very few sailors out at the Sign, rarely more than 4 or 5.

I’m not opposed to windmills, mind you, that would be crazy! We need clean renewable energy, and I realize that it’s a lot more important than keeping a few hundred windsurfers happy. I suppose they put them in the windiest spot they could find, but couldn’t it have been on the other side of the river? Build a low-to-the-ground solar farm on the upwind side! If Bill Gates dies & leaves me all his money, that’s just what I’ll do!

I’ve been involved in the discussion about the windmills, and said myself that it was dependent on direction, that if the wind was SW and blowing up the river all would be well. After sailing those very conditions this past week I’d like to say that I was wrong, very wrong. Sure, you’ll get wind, sometimes very strong, but it’s gusty and holey, just tolerable, not the super-steady joyfest of before.

The other thing was the water condition. I never saw the lovely ramps we used to get at Rio Viento or the Sign, seems like no matter which way the wind blew, all we got was disorganized chop, like mini-Kanaha, with maybe an occasional small ramp coming up the river. Sure, you could drive up to the Park with your gear, rig and pinch upwind for 4 or 5 reaches until you got some nice ramps up by Marker 12, but no more “Grab your gear & go” from the Sign, Rio Viento or Powerlines campsite. This has also made the Park a crowded zoo on weekends, especially Sunday when the farmworkers bring their families down to the “Playpen” for a dip.

This is really bumming me out. I love the Delta, I even made a mini documentary about it on my Wind Junkie website, and have had some of the best sailing days of my life there, jumping & playing on the river with my friends, on small gear and wearing boardshorts and a rashguard. No more. I guess I’ll have to spend a zillion dollars & go to Maui next year, the only other place I’ve been that can give you that kind of sailing joy.

Below is a photo of wifey & me from days gone by. Sigh.

S&D Delta crop & lo-res.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.48 KB
 Viewed:  21609 Time(s)

S&D Delta crop & lo-res.jpg

tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually think the windmills have been affecting the wind at berekeley too. when they turn the power up on them, they pull so hard it causes HUGE wind spikes at the berkeley pier. and it smells more like rotting fish now too.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Below is a photo of wifey & me from days gone by. Sigh."

From days gone by?
But, but, but, what are those up on the hill?
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From days gone by?
But, but, but, what are those up on the hill?

Should have anticipated this question. It's from when there were only a few, and mostly east of Rio Viento. A little gusty then, but still pretty good.

peter19u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to sail at the Access during the week or do dawn patrol on the weekends. I was there Saturday morning and again yesterday and it was really really good with hardly anyone there. Too bad for this work thing or I'd be there more.
sailtildark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still way better than the wind and water in Thousand Oaks this time of year, right? Laughing
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 4th sail from Rio Viento just as the wind was starting to pick up later in the afternoon. The rest of the weekend wasn't that great.

RIO_ME.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Viewed:  21483 Time(s)

RIO_ME.jpg

spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth of July, and you're the only one out. Why is that? See my OP.
windchamp2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a bigger sail and all of a sudden your complaints about the wind go away.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Fourth of July, and you're the only one out. Why is that? See my OP.

Not sure, happy hour?? Or maybe the flood tide. There were a few guys out at the sign but at Rio Viento I was alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: