myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The End of an Era at Sherman Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethurlow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it is goin' off right now...I have found you need W or WSW at the Access (Rio Viento?) and WSW at the sign to get good rollers. Any W or NW at the Sign, or SW then it may be windy/gusty/flat.

{:~[ Work causes only internet surfing now for me.

Ernie
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windchamp2:

Sailed my 7.8, 4-cam race sail several times while there, doesn't change a thing.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
windchamp2:

Sailed my 7.8, 4-cam race sail several times while there, doesn't change a thing.

I can attest to the fact that, many days, no sail is going to get you thru the lulls. I mean, lull 12, gust 24--I'm doing what I can with a big board and not-too-big sail but there are limits. Not sure how much the wind turbines are hurting us. They can't be helping, but they certainly aren't creating all this WNW (despite what M14 reads, as a lot of it appears to be going right over the anemometer.)

Having said that, I went out this morning for brunch patrol (old guy's version of dawn patrol) and yes, it dropped to 20 by the time I hit the water, but it was 16-24, a reasonable spread. Which meant 5.5 and 87L, not 104L. And filled in all the way across. And moderate but smoooooth swell in the channel. Best session this season. More, please!
damel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sailing the bay area for 3 years now and I have seen a difference in just the time I have been here. There is a ton of thought that goes into where windmills are placed and it has nothing to do with how it will affect windsurfing it barely considers environmental concerns. Its amazing how much 100 feet will affect whether a windmill gets enough wind to create power 300 days a year versus 100.

The windmills are up there is little we can do about it. There are other windmill projects underway that may destroy other great windsurfing/sailing sights such as the cape wind project and while I have supported that project in the past what I have seen in the delta worries me.

airwave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie,

We have debated this already. I will say that upon review I agree that the windmills probably do effect Rio Viento and Powerlines especially when there is a W to NW wind direction, perhaps even when there is some S in it.

But if you head a little west and sail from The Sign or definitely the Access, the Park, and beyond you'll get winds that are not effected by the windmills. It's quality is as good as Mother Nature allows. i've had a lot of 4.5 days this season, even some 4.2 and 3.7s. It's blowing 32 right now and has been 22 - 32 all day.

Come on down and join me at M-7, 8, 9, and 10. They have better swell than Rio Viento or Powerlines ever had, past and present.
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nw30,

Those are fans. They got rid of the fans and replaced them with windmills.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my observation the wind has been lighter and less consistent at many sites for the last few years

there is less fog and what fog there is is not as high and thick as it was in the past.

thankfully, this week has been like the good ole' days.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterdays graph shows solid wind at M14, did anyone hit it?
tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhh. you guys are talking about the windmills in the delta. there's absolutely no doubt that those windmills are screwing up the wind in the east bay. the wind at both isabel and berkeley tends to pulse more when it's windy at the delta. and then there's the ambient vector parallax as well...
izitwindy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all spoiled.. think of all those lake sailors in other states that get all jazzed up when they go out on a 7.5 and 130 liter board and have a blast. My biggest sail is a 5.7...And I don't use it that much..The windmills are here to stay. We have to adjust....I'm still enjoying some excellent dawn patrol sessions at the access while many are still sleeping in...There are just fewer options....let's remember how lucky we are to have such a great place to shred!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: