myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The End of an Era at Sherman Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You were sailing the NPU?

Yep, the Na-Poo as my buddy always called it. The first part I was on a 5.5 Neil Pryde Sprint and then I rigged down to the NPU 4.7. Picked that sail up at a swap. Great sail.
There was another NPU with the same colors that day that I saw in the video. It was bigger than what I was on and I don't think he had a helmet on.
Anyway, It use to be windier there and the swell was pretty big at times. It was the only place I sailed until we got Windy Cove developed. That was a great place to sail because it was so wide that even on a flood it was easy to get upwind.

beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Access Sat PM ebb and Sun am ebb. Excellent. Sunday was 4.0 to 4.2 and chest high. Both days it looked like the Sign and Viento did fine even though the wind Sunday had a little more north (or west-whatever) in it. Most interesting on the way out Glass Beach looked quite good too. No one out there of course but looked like 5.0 or so.
Access had the most cars I've ever seen there, two rows deep going way down the way. It was ABK which is always a little more crowded but Rio was the place to be this weekend. On the water, no problem, everyone seemed quite comfortable out there, had to look before gybe for sure.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification from the OP:

I said it was gusty & holey. The graphs show it's been slightly less windy than M10, that's just statistics and can't be argued. Yes, it's sometimes even stronger than M10, but not usually. I also said it occasionally gets very windy, again statistical & can't be argued. Here's my definitions, feel free to add yours:

Gusty: Short bursts of varying wind, that sudden "foof!" that'll sometimes yank the sail out of your hands.

Holey: Longer periods of varying wind, let's say over a minute in length. Terrible for a big guy like me, as a 1-3 minute drop in wind often puts me in the water, where lightweights can float along & wait.

Up & down: When the wind average changes for an extended period of time, let's say 10 minutes or so. The Delta has always done this, for as long as I can remember (20 years), at every site.

windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful wind condition definitions - thanks!
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't arguing against any of the previous discussion of changing wind at Rio, I was just reporting what I saw this weekend. I do believe the change in the wind at the Sign and Viento is for real and even dramatic at times but it's inconsistent. There are times when it seems to be fine and times when the only sailing is at the end. Perplexing at times, multifactorial I guess.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge winds have changed over the last several years, too, but the wind turbines are too far from the water and on much wilder terrain than the Delta's and are thus unlikely to affect sailing winds. The New Mexico locals tell me their heated lake's winds have diminished significantly over the past several years. Neither proves or disproves the effect of turbines, but it may implicate larger-scale weather or wind pattern changes.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here on the central Cal. coast, still very good, but not as many nukey days as we had 10'ish years ago.
And the nearest 'fan' has to be about 100 miles away, at least.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to blow 4.0 every single day in the gorge until they put that dang twist in the top of our sails. Got even worse when the kiters started stealing the wind that was flowing up high.

Ill take the 80's back any day.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattmiller wrote:
...until they put that dang twist in the top of our sails...

actually, that twist in the top of the sails is designed to reflect the sun's subsonic gamma rays, keeping your skin's basel cell count low, all while reflecting your pearly white smile.

but let's stay on topic: i believe the OP's original point was that windmills are creating sonic shear waves that vectors wind into vertical stall patterns, while also recirculating your personal methane emissions.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattmiller wrote:

Ill take the 80's back any day.
You weren't even born yet Sonny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: