myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First FSW board - 96L or 106L Tabou 3S / Fanatic Freewave
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputtemans1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: First FSW board - 96L or 106L Tabou 3S / Fanatic Freewave Reply with quote

I could use some advise getting my first Freestyle Wave board.

I just sold my 125L freeride board (Tabou Rocket) because I want to update to a 2 board quiver. The Rocket falls to much in between what I want to do, which is sailing into 5-35 knots of wind @ 75kg.

In the winter I have been using the Rocket in conditions where the board just couldn't cope with rough waters and waves. Sometimes it just starts to fly and I loose too much control.
I am getting more into the wave aspect of the sport after just blasting around in freeride, so I think a FSW board is what I need to cross over.

I really liked the Rocket so I am eyeballing the Tabou 3S, the 2014 model but just in the CED construction to save my money for a new sail and mast. The difference in weight seems very minimal anyway.
Now I just have to decide what size. It's going to have to be the 96L or 106L which both are updated shapes for 2014.
Again my weight is 75kg. Would the 96L still float me to uphaul?

My other board will be the 10' Exocet WindSUP which tandems as a SUP an would give me a light to medium windrange.
Would the 106L 3S be the right overlap with the WindSUP?
What windrange will the 106L give me?

Another option is the Fanatic FreeWave TE. I can get the 96L and 106L boards used (rentals) but for a good price, about the same than the CED Tabou.
How do the Fanatics compare to the Tabous? Is one more wave orientated and another more freeride maybe?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you sail?

I think that it might have been a mistake to sell the Rocket. Most people that I know have a board for planing from 14 - 20, which would be the Rocket, and then another board for 20 - 30, which would be a free style wave. If you really want to push the 35 mph wind speed, a third wave board might be in order.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Rocket in larger sizes..105 and up are freeride platforms.

the 3S does rather what it says, 3 styles. I dont feel the 3S of Fanatic are overly wave oriented. Both boards are nice .
gvogelsangs comments are in line with my thinking.

You dont state what sail size you intend to use.

going with your info the 106L would be the better size , but either will be a handful in 35mph , fin down yes, but not a pleasant session

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
antonputtemans1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail in the Med, North Italy and South of France.

I know the 125 Rocket is a fantastic board but I could barely get it on a plane under 18knts of wind with my 7.8 North X-Type sail. I thought I could use the board in our typical 8-18knts of wind in the summer but I rarely got the board on a plane with the 7.8 and especially my homespot with light winds has been nothing but frustration.

Anything with my 6.6 X-Type has been absolutely fantastic, even with my 5.4 sail in the winter in 25-30knts conditions with the straps all outboard and a sit harness but a lot of times I was out of control because of the sea state. The Rockets eats chop no problem but in bigger swells it was just a struggle.

I am going to get the 10' Exocet WindSUP for the light wind summer plus our difficult everyday homespot conditions (onshore) sailing in about 20knts with decent swell.
In the winter we have days with 20-35knts with big swell and that's why I would need a 100-ish FSW. I understand that once I would get the grips on wave sailing I would need a third dedicated waveboard.

Last edited by antonputtemans1 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
antonputtemans1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record I am talking about knots not mph.
Sorry for the confusion
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm a 100 litre board for you in 20-35 knots seems really really big to me. I would think that you would be choosing something around 85 or 90.....
But then I don't know anything about your skill level....well maybe we do, if you can't get a 120 litre board on a plane with a 7.8 and weigh 165 lbs.....
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have a 106 tabou 3S that i love i do use it in 18 to low 30's . I also have a windsup 11'8" that i use in 5 to 18 I'm 200 lb .That said when the wind is hi 30+ and not to up and down i use my 83l board. But for your first short board at your weight the 106 may be better. If u are a good water starter the 96l would be find. But like U2 said a free ride board would be e/z er to use as your first short board. Hope this help's
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be looking at 90 liters for your smallest board. Easy uphaul for your 165 lbs.
I"m 65 years old, 155lbs., and can uphaul my 84FSW board, and even almost uphaul my JPProSlalom at 80 liters. And, I'm wearing a full 4/3 wetsuit.
Knots is more than MPH, so even a 91 liter FSW should plane up in 17-22mph winds at your weight, with a 6 meter non cam, non race sail.
Perhaps you just stand there and let the wind pull you up onto a plane?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a 10' Exocet windsup would be a terrible compromise in 12 - 18 conditions.

I use an old Formula board in 13 - 16, and it gets right up an planes wonderfully with not much effort. I weigh 210, and use that board with an 8.5 and a 7.5. If I were your weight, I would be looking at something in the 135 liter range as a really good all-around board for 13 - 20 days in the summer. At least for me. Planing in the straps in marginal winds is a real thrill, and accessible with the right gear.

You could marry a semi-light wind planing machine with something in the FSW category and have a great 2 board quiver to use from 13 to 30.

I am thinking of something like the 130 Freemove boards that are wide enough to plane in 13-14, but thin enough to be controllable in 20-25. Then a free style wave board. Windsurf Mag (UK) has done a number of reviews.

I am really enjoying my Firemove V2 122 this summer. I have used it in semi-planing 13-14 with a 7.5 (and planed very nicely with a little help from a gust), to 25-30 with a 5.5 (and it was still controllable).
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna help, but then I read this;

Quote:
I sail in the Med, North Italy and South of France.

so now I'm all like, "You get to sail in paradise.....yer on yer own pal."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: