myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First FSW board - 96L or 106L Tabou 3S / Fanatic Freewave
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but he misses out on Turkey resorts, and possibly Rhodes.
My ideal 2 board quiver...... my 109JPSuperSport (5.5-8 meter sails), and my 84JPFSW, sails 4.2- lightweight 6.0. But I"m only 155 lbs., and wear a full 4-3 wetsuit that sometimes get's wet enough to weigh 10 lbs.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 125ltr Rocket, fast board. I found after a couple of seasons that I wanted something more turny, I sold the 125 and got the 116 3s, GREAT BOARD.

The thing will handle an 6.0-8.0 and it's a lot of fun, carves great and handles chop like a 96 ltr board.

I'm a big fan of the 3S, I also own a 96ltr as well.

DC
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2014 3s 96 liter in the CED construction. Super fun board. Its very lite so no need for the LTD version. Its easily carries a 6.0 on down. Very smooth in heavy chop. Planes early. FUN fun to turn. Can't go wrong on this board.....
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another happy owner of a 3S 96. I used to sail sub-80 l wave boards when it got really windy, but since I got the 3S, I stopped sailing smaller boards, even when it's blowing high 30s. I like having the heavier construction when it the wind goes about 25 mph. I'm around 85-90 kg.

You're 10 kg lighter, and thinking about the 106, so that's a 20 l difference. My guess is that you'll find the 106 too big for 25-30 knots, unless it's really flat. The 96 may be a better choice. I sail mine with a 6.5 m sail often, works perfectly when the wind reaches 16 or 17 knots. You're 10 kg lighter, so you should get going earlier. A 7.0 also works ok with a bigger fin; a 7.5 is doable, but starts being less fun.
antonputtemans1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!

The 96L should work for me if I want to keep a 2 board quiver.
I think my 6.6 North X-Type would still do on this board.
I am thinking a new 4.7 North Volt as a SMALL and my 5.4 North X-Type as MEDIUM.
Now I still need to be sure about the upper range of the 10' Exocet WindSUP.
I hope it is about 20 knots.

To specify why I barly got my 125L Tabou Rocket planing with my 7.8 X-Type.
This is only the case at my homespot, a big bay with steep waters surrounded by mountains with the wind coming in side-on turning around a cape. Typically 10-18 knots with difficulties to get out; wind holes, shifts, drops etc.
I having to tack out way too much to find something steady. Even in +20 knots it was very difficult for me to launch and the onshore sea state was less than ideal for the Rocket with the board flying and out of control.

BTW, What do you guys think about the 100L Naish Starship? It looks like a board very similar to the 3S in a way that it's more on the wave <> freeride spectrum than other FSW boards. I am not interested in Freestyle anyway.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naish looks cool. Reviews on both boards state bias towards freeride.
Not really a free style first choice. Lots of great reviews on the 3s. Don't know anyone on the Naish yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: