myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Friday Kitemare at ThreeMile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Friday Kitemare at ThreeMile Reply with quote

It was light today at ThreeMile, with one windsurfer doing a morning 4.7 session before it backed off for most of the day. 4 Kiters rigged large kites (mostly 14's) and had some fun, but a fifth had a bit of an incident in the gravel parking lot. After politely turning down an offer of help launching from each of two windurfers, his kite dragged him across the lot at a brisk pace until he fell and he got gravel road rash and then cut himself loose. We were facing the other way and were unaware until he yelled of his distress. Before we were able to complete the 50 foot sprint to grab him, he was thankfully able to release the kite. The scary part is that the kite kept going--it did not depower at all. His race after it through the (rattlesnake populated) brush was a losing battle until it hit the water in the lagoon almost at the extreme downwind end, and another kiter was able to grab it. Happy ending is that he and his kite were picked up by car. We hope he wasn't too badly hurt.
timsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: More kite fun. Reply with quote

7/18/2014 I saw a kiter get pulled by a gust straight down wind at the hatch and then collide with a female windsurfer who was sailing in a straight line across the river. They were both fine. Not sure why kiters want to sail the most crowded windsurf spot in the gorge? Swell is better upwind and downwind from the point? Also heard about a windsurfers rig getting tangled in the bridles of the kite same day at the hatch. Didn't see it but sounds like both parties were fine. I kite better than the hatch kooks and no I don't kite at the hatch but the lightest of days. When kiting I prefer to get my ride on with my other kite bros not the windsurfers. Also watched a kiter who was LIT at the hatch same day sailing in the mix. When kiting LIT you ride the brakes rather than the gas pedal... Sooo here is a kiter moving at about the speed of a buoy. Like seriously traveling at about 5mph.... While windsurfers are darting past him at 30+ mph Accident waiting to happen....
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday Kitemare at ThreeMile Reply with quote

bad_dolphin wrote:
...his kite dragged him across the lot at a brisk pace until he fell and he got gravel road rash and then cut himself loose ....

Why pick on a kiter, when the same thing happens to windsurfers every day?

3 ...

2 ...

1 ...

Anyone who claims I'm laughing at the kiter rather than at the implication that it happens to WSers can just save yer breath.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars - Are you serious?! When a windsurfer is in the water they occupy maybe 80-100 sq feet. When a kiter drops their lines in the water they effectively take up about 250 sq feet and potentially alter the course of several windsurfers simultaneously. Everyone ends up in the water at some point. We all realize that. The difference is the hazard factor on a 3.2 day is significantly greater. That is all he was saying.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiting is to windsurfing as snowboarding is to skiing and as wakeboarding is to waterskiiing. Just the way I feel.
Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed for many moons, but never got road rash sailing.

-Larry
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry.Lampshade wrote:
I've sailed for many moons, but never got road rash sailing.

Ezzackly.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
kiting is to windsurfing as snowboarding is to skiing and as wakeboarding is to waterskiiing. Just the way I feel.

The biggest A-hole snowboarder I've ever encountered was on skis.
Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail often with kiters and have no problem with it and often like sailing with them as several are my friends. However on the really big days it does get a little sketchy - even sailing with just windsurfers can get a bit sketchy when the winds are gusting over 40 and you are really lit.

I do hope the kiter at 3 mile is ok for a body drag over land would not be fun for anyone.

Just my thoughts.

On a different note, Tim Saunders for Mayor!
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Don't be rude... Reply with quote

Seems this time of year there are so many people from out of the area that the normal courtesy between kiters and windsurfers dissolves - in other words... inexperienced kiters mixing in heavily windsurfed areas - where normally only the better kiters would hang and not be an issue.

Windsurfers (and experienced kiters) would do everyone a favor by letting them know - up or down wind is a better place for them - speaking up is not rude - not speaking up is rude...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: