myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Friday Kitemare at ThreeMile
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't be rude... Reply with quote

WndsrfInvstr wrote:
Seems this time of year there are so many people from out of the area that the normal courtesy between kiters and windsurfers dissolves - in other words... inexperienced kiters mixing in heavily windsurfed areas - where normally only the better kiters would hang and not be an issue.

Windsurfers (and experienced kiters) would do everyone a favor by letting them know - up or down wind is a better place for them - speaking up is not rude - not speaking up is rude...

How does one let the kiters know? By yelling at them on the water - "Get the F out of here"? That sounds pretty rude to me.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always worth trying, but it seldom helps. Even the local kiters complain about it when inept kiters get in everyone's way. They're vying for air space, and it takes very few overactive kites to clog up huge expanses of the river. In addition, one launch's "upwind" is the next launch's "downwind".

Then there's the kiter who chides, "Didn't you SEE me?"

NO, guy, I didn't. You're a small, black, blob hidden among hundreds of chest- or head-high waves with a black rock background. You may as well be invisible, because you often are when the swell is good. Put on a blinding neon shirt of some sort like your smarter minority do so we can actually SEE you, especially through wet sails and sunglasses. Some midsummer turistas still crowd folks out when it's obvious that they're approaching Oregon or Washington and have no choice but to jibe, tack, or jump in the water. (Tip: I can't do the second and I'm not going to do the latter.)

And the problem isn't just on the water. Add people taking up two precious parking spots with one poorly parked normal-sized vehicle, let alone the selfish awnings-and-carpet crowd, plus the people, including some locals, who block the federally-mandated fire truck/ambulance zones because they don't want to walk an extra 100 feet like everyone else who came late. Add rows of lawn chairs blocking the only path into the water despite all the pleasant requests and dirty looks it draws.

It's like many of them couldn't fit their brains and consciences into their cars when they left home.
dangerd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Iso, It doesn't sound like you enjoy windsurfing at all anymore. Maybe it's time to hang it up? Just sayi'n.
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the hatch traffic lanes should be left to the windsurfers on nukin days, or maybe with the addition of very experienced kiters who are very used to kiting in heavy traffic. I used to windsurf but gave it up after starting to kite, and I just tried kiting at the Hatch last week during some 25-35 on an OP'd 10m. I took a few reaches and realized I was not going to have fun, and could potentially end up endangering myself and others so I headed downwind.

I had a blast, the swell was 90% as good but the freedom of movement more than made up for the lack of rollers.

As always, it only takes one idiot to ruin things for everyone else. Doesn't matter if they're a snowboarder, a skiier, a kiter or windsurfer, and I admit sometimes it's been me. Shit happens sometimes, but idiot behavior is missing the point when the shit starts to happen without doing anything to change the situation.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerd wrote:
Wow Iso, It doesn't sound like you enjoy windsurfing at all anymore. Maybe it's time to hang it up?

Nope. I just happen to agree with WndsrfInvstr,who wrote:
... speaking up is not rude - not speaking up is rude...

i.e., Silence encourages misbehavior.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is that it is peak touristo season in The Gorge.

Wisdom to live by:

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, and get prepared to face agro.

Sail well up or downwind of the knuckleheads.

Always watch out for the other guy.

As a last resort, get prepared to get agro yourself if that's what it takes to scare off an idiot.

spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only collision I ever had on the slopes was when I was snowboarding for the 2nd time & got clipped - hard - by a skier. Irony!

I think the skier/snowboarder comparison is pretty right-on, in that the early kiters were often dicks because they didn't know the rules. As time goes on I've found that MOST kiters are quite courteous and respectful, and I try to return that respect. If I'm on a collision course with a kiter I try to pinch upwind hard so he knows what's up. If I can't get upwind of him I'll go way downwind, again so he knows what I'm doing, and to give him room. No big deal for me, and everybody gets along, just like Rodney King wanted!

johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

I think the skier/snowboarder comparison is pretty right-on, in that the early kiters were often dicks because they didn't know the rules. As time goes on I've found that MOST kiters are quite courteous and respectful, and I try to return that respect. If I'm on a collision course with a kiter I try to pinch upwind hard so he knows what's up. If I can't get upwind of him I'll go way downwind, again so he knows what I'm doing, and to give him room. No big deal for me, and everybody gets along, just like Rodney King wanted!

Wow, I'm jealous. My experience in the gorge.....

Approaching a windsurfer while on starboard, they always try to pinch upwind of me.

Approaching a windsurfer while on port, I attempt to pinch upwind just to have them change their course to go upwind of me....

Approaching a slogging windsurfer, I attempt to go upwind of them so they can go downwind and get on a plane. They pinch upwind in an attempt to get on a plane.

Approaching a kiter, It doesn't matter which way, they ALWAYS try to go upwind of me. I hold my course and let them deal with getting their lines over me.

I've come to the conclusion I must really stink if everybody needs to go upwind of me...... Embarassed

Last edited by johnl on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John thanks for the humility and humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: