myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
storing rig underwater
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: storing rig underwater Reply with quote

Crazy question huh? Here is the situation. About to purchase a property on a small lake in Wisconsin. I will be able to windsurf from a perfect spot right off our private pier. Onshore winds. Problem is access.

There are very difficult steep stairs going down a bluff about 60 feet through brush and small trees. At the bottom of the stairs is water. No sand, no beach, no rigging area other than a 4ft. wide dock going out into the lake. It about chest deep going out 60 feet into the lake. I believe I can rig up top and carry down a rigged sail with 2 people through brush and trees.

So here is the question. If I want to keep the rig at the water all day, go have lunch, go into town, wait for more winds etc., can I submerge the rig on the bottom in 4 feet of water with tie downs so it stays out of the wind, Sun and waves for a hours at a time? Waves are never big enough to be a problem in 4 feet, even with onshore winds and ski boats wake.

Lets say I do this for 8 - 12 hours a week for a Summer will I hurt anything? I am thinking 4 feet under will keep a lot of the UV rays of the sail, in a calm and cool environment, no wind or waves damaging it?

Only down side I can think of is possible algae at some point, or maybe water penetrating boom or mast?

Every night I completely de-rig and dry sail.

Good or bad plan?
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried what you are suggesting. If you follow through, let us know the results.
On the other hand, how about expanding the dock and putting a storage compartment on it to hold fully rigged sails and boards and kit. Then you do not have to de-rig at night. Every day it is ready to go.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No structures allowed on pier or bluff.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definetly going to fill your boom and mast with water. This may not drain out that easily with the sail still rigged so when you go to sail again later that day, everything will feel rather heavy. I'd say a better route is to take 3 or 4 2x6's and bolt them to the underside of your dock - extending them out from the side of your dock to accommodate the full width and length of your largest sail. The idea is to just make a simple frame to lay your sail on when done. Secure your sail at the three corners with rope or bungee cords and your good to go.

Rob
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u tarp it and tie onto dock ??
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a boat tied to that dock. Maybe not actually a boat, boat, but a boat that lets you store your kit fully rigged inside of it out of the sun. You keep it in the water for the season. Sort of a 'boat house' disguised as a boat.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of launching off your small pier, are there any public locations close by where you could launch? If that's not possible, my first project would be considering increasing the size of your private pier. You said that it's 4 feet wide, but you omitted any information about its present length. What would that be?

Ultimately, if rules are so strict that no improvement is possible, I'd seriously question your purchase.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Property is for more than windsurfing. Yes, neighbors have easy walk down. That is a possibility depending how friendly. I will be able to have about a 8 X 12 ft. platform on end 4 ft. wide pier where I could tie down rig for afternoon. Problem is full Sun and wind. Wind I could probably figure out. I like the idea of 2 x 4's out from under to make some sort of holding device, but I do worry about blistering Sun all day on sail. Off shore winds will be sailing other side of lake (public access) due to bluff.

I suppose I could weigh dry rig, submerge for a few hours. stand upright for 15 minutes and weigh again to see how much water is inside?
bamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a fun and solvable issue. But I don't personally think storing the rig underwater is the way to go.

What about taking 5-gallon buckets, filling them with concrete and setting Simpson brackets at the top. Bring these offshore a bit to make a mooring. Attach to this mooring an inflatable dock/ swim platform like the Aquaglide. On this you can store a few rigs and cover them with a tarp.

As an added benefit, the swim platform might be super nice for your family and friends to use. You can use it to take a break, store food and drinks, make adjustments, etc.

If the geometry works out, consider a zip line attached to the mooring and running to the top of the bluff. On the bluff you could use some existing structure or just set a pole (metal or 4x4 pressure treated) in fast setting concrete. Send your gear down and up on the zip line, even rigged sails, by having a person and line on each end.

The swim platforms can be had for less than $1,000. The pole on the bluff, wire to span to mooring, Simpson brackets, buckets, quick set concrete, etc. could be had for a few hundred dollars. You could likely put this all together in a day. At the end of the season you can pull everything, deflate the dock, and store it in the garage with a very small footprint.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamer you have a creative mind. thanks for sharing.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: