myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new to me SUV - toyota highlander vs jeep
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I had an E250 Ford Van for years. Vans are great but I got stuck in my driveway all the time and Baja washboard was a remarkably bad experience. It took a six pack to make it from Highway 1 to PSC!

That, or a heavy foot. The other cure for washboards is high speeds. 80 mph smooths it right out until ya wanna steer or stop.

coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars

My 2001 BMW was rated by Consumer Reports at the time I bought it as "recommended" with a better than average repair record. I am closing the gap on 14 years of ownership and it has only needed minimal repairs and none before it clocked 100k. Now, it has the usual sensor "bugs" that old cars get...but, it is extremely easy to work on and parts are not really expensive if you avoid the dealership.

FWIW, I had a lot of trouble with a Subaru Legacy driving it the same way before I got rid of it at 60K miles.

Just saw your photo...Looks like they just graded it!
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 28ft Class C Motorhome. Holds 3 boards inside, 2 masts, 2 booms, 3 sails in the pass thru under the bed plus, food, beer, shower, bed, extra clothes, mountain bikes on a hitch rack. 9 mpg. Self destructs on washboard roads. A bitch to park.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
My 2001 BMW ... 14 years ... minimal repairs and none before it clocked 100k.

I'll see your admirable anecdotal evidence and double it with the flip side.

My brother's Audi Quattro spent 8 months in the shop for new brake system, air conditioning system, transmission, and engine all in its first year of strictly highway use. Much of the costs came out of his pocket because Audi had the same warranty attitude Pontiac did with me: So Sue Us. (He did, and won some compensation. I chose instead to go to my Congressman, with similar results for me plus a bonus: new lemon laws.)

He loved driving his Audi so much he bought another one (he buys at least one new vehicle every year so far below wholesale that he usually sells them for a profit.) Same result, so he tried a Mercedes SUV. Another shop queen.

Google German car reliability. It's just plain shocking. You got lucky. I'd feel more secure, statistically speaking, in a Ford Pinto with a GM ignition switch, Toyota or early Audi throttle system, early Pontiac GTO brakes (mine had virtually no useful braking above 60 mph), Hell, ANY Pontiac parts, BMW AWD (they finally had to drop it), early Subaru heads, early Honda Odyssey or Chevy Astro transmission, VW's plastic intake manifold, and Corvair handling.

YMMV, but would ya gamble again, Punk? Smile
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
Plus the nearest Audi dealership is 4 hours.

I drooled over Audis (and Mercerdes and BMWs) for years to decades, studying them in print, talking to dealers and independent mechanics and owners I knew personally or stopped on the street, and reading the industry watchdogs' reports. I never even came close to buying any German vehicles because of their most universal trait: horrible reliability.

You havent been paying attention in the last decade. My A4 went over 100k, without a single thing going wrong. Audi has changed its image quite dramatically, and now scores very high for reliability. The TDI 6 cyclinder engine(in the Q5) has been clocking 200,000 + in Europe without losing any torque....its a dream to drive, and diesel is cheaper than premium in the Bay Area.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I bought this truck new after Georgie melted the economy in 2008

Surely you know that Georgie complained and/or formally appealed to the Congress three times, with increasing fervor, to stop the madness, especially to curtail the subprime lending nonsense lest it collapse. They ignored him.

Now it's happening again in automobile sales, which fortunately lacks the volume to bring the whole economy to its knees again. However, home flipping fever is being touted by the lenders as though the housing collapse never happened.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is simply not true...dont believe it. W passed the Bear Stearns rule in 2004, expanding IB leverage. In subprime, he was a big supporter of non-bank lending, and appointed Ameriquest's CEO to be the Ambassador to Holland. W's policies did NOTHING to curtail subprime lending, they actually helped it flourish. ISO, you cant be more wrong....which is not shocking.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do not believe GW was solely responsible for the Great Recession. But, I think it is fun to point out that the boss gets the blame for everything...sort of like now!

Back to topic...Boggsman...talked to a Q5 owner today. He could not shut up about how great that thing is! But, he didn't like me sitting on the hood drinking a beer after the ride!
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars--do you have a citation for this, or is it something else that talk radio made up for you to repeat?

Quote:
Surely you know that Georgie complained and/or formally appealed to the Congress three times, with increasing fervor, to stop the madness, especially to curtail the subprime lending nonsense lest it collapse. They ignored him.

The basics of this argument show up in a far right site, here: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article25212.htm

NW and BB may want to stroke their paranoia on such a tin hat site.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitches please....f-150, starting under $35k..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: