myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster vs twin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think its more about board shape, but in my opinion twins have a niche and are best for really advanced wave sailors who want slide and pop skate style looseness for freestyle in wave moves like takas. Twins are also great for jumping - better than a tri fin with more equally sized fins. I also think twins make a lot of sense for fish style lightwind wave sailing in smallish but clean waves. Generally speaking a tri fin has more versatility and can typically be used to good effect both for swell and wave sailing. I think quads are the best for learning waves though. They are slower and kind of force you into more critical spots on the wave. More and more advanced wave sailors are switching to tri fins. A lot to do with style, but it seems they learned to ride closer to the pocket on quads and now want to get back some speed and power. I've had and sailed varieties of all three fin configs. For my level, I sail best on quads. U2 - the tempo was a really really fun freestyle wave shape, but totally crap as an actual wave board. It was super fast and pointed great, something that twins weren't supposed to do. I'd consider a tempo like twin as a gorge board.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important factor often overlooked in wave shapes.
Single fins can go TOO fast, resulting in sky high jumps and vertical landings. Remember what happenned to Stretch (WilliamRiedel) and ChrisChang at Waddel?
With twins or quads canted inwards, top speed is limited, so there is more a controlled jump, meaning fewer ski high jumps, which require huge impact landings.
And there is nothing like the feel of accelerating when you jibe, as opposed to "trying to maintain a plane" when you jibe.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
I demo'd the two most popular 80L quads on Maui and didn't get it at all.

The boards felt huge and like I was stuck to the water. Loose? These were wave boards that didn't really want to jibe. I was *really* unhappy the whole time I was on those boards.

Talked about it later with one of Maui's top sailors and he was basically in the same skeptical camp, mentioning a new term: "Quad Bog".

Admittedly, I didn't spend enough time to really get used to the quads. I'm really happy on my 10 year old Exocets. When I jumped on an Exocet Original Wave at a board test it was love at first jibe. If I'm going to make a change, shouldn't it be that way? I know the Exocet is not an aggressive wave shape and that's fine with me. If I can't plane and point I can't get back out and upwind to the next wave. I'm not the most efficient sailor but lately I seem to be planing past lots of guys on quads esp in Maui.

well most wave board s dont plane early, they are designed for other things.
I think the placement , the fins are critical, and toe in on a quad does much to improve the quad.

a 2006 OW 105L , this is the best conversion, in feel to date that I have done, 4 slot boxes. It has toe front and rear, worked great in Gorge and Hatteras. The OW is almost a FSW platform, it made/makes a wonderful board.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perspective as a 3rd Avenue bay sailor is this: I hate multi-fins on a flood tide or above 5.0. On a slack tide or an ebb, 5.0 and below I love them. Love them. Three fin boards let me easily switch back and forth, but if you have deep pockets or already have a bigger single that you like then getting a smaller multi-fin board would be great.

I can totally see where multi-fins would be great in the gorge. And I completely agree that singles can flat out go too fast. Though I feel they can go too fast on the bay swell to really enjoy it rather than from an "I jumped too high" perspective. On my 95 tri I can shut off the sail and really ride the swell on a good ebb day which is something that I couldn't do on my old single. I would simply out run the swell patch too fast.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullroarer_Took wrote:
singles can flat out go too fast.
Yes. Don't you just love it?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons for OpenOcean's popularity in high winds is the two small sidebites, that take the edge off high speed runs in high winds and big chop with huge swells.
Lots of pros are using multi fin wave boards, to push what their sponsors are selling and also to give them some control on the top end speeds they can achieve in the flat water between swells heading out thru the surf line.
I"m sure most of you have seen or heard stories of expert level sailors just jumping too darn high, and having to bail before landings, or trying to land and breaking their boards in half.
There's one well known Tomales sailor who is reputed to have broken close to a dozen boards in half on landings, before he finally hurt his knee.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a tri fin setup with blanks to go in the thrusters, be a perfect solution? You can ride it in a single fin configuration or thruster configuration depending on the conditions. Seems like I have heard a lot of positive feedback from folks pursuing that option.
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Bullroarer_Took wrote:
singles can flat out go too fast.
Yes. Don't you just love it?

I used to for sure, but my sailing style has changed.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quads are heavy, complicated and sticky. Priced a set of quad fins yet?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single with two little sidebites don't give that extra thrust exiting your turns, likea good twin or quad. The center tail fin mutes the feel and slight thrust, you get from pivoting off fins that are located right on the rail.
After 25 years of serious surfing, I ordered my first windsurfing twin fin wave board in 1984, a 7'7" x 58.5, mostly using two 8" fins, for sailing at the NorCal coast spots. RobinProdanovich (Local Motion) shaped the rails a little thicker than I wanted, so the board needed a little more fin to really hold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: