myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster vs twin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Smaller singles can help some, I use 8.25 in waves.
But, at that point, two 7.5" fins feel looser rail to rail, hold in better upwind, go fast enough for jumping, and pivot turn quicker with more push coming out of the top turns, so it's a different FEEL, more akin to riding a twin or quad surfboard as opposed to a single fin.
Quads might go down to 5.5 and 5" sizings.

Totally agree with comments re single fins in the waves. I was so happy to go twin/quad from my singles . The single fin boards felt really sketchy when heading off at max warp in the hero bowl in PSC. The twins and quads are predictable - I feel much more comfortable in logo high waves off the bottom and off the top. I have a RRD 82L twin for 5.8-4.7 and love that slider feel where you can just slide the board sideways on demand and pull it back. I am never going to back to a single fin for true wave boards.
Riding FSW for B&J and light wind is another matter....my 102L FSW does just fine with a single fin.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
I notice some single fin wave sailors use a fin that is too large probably so that they can point upwind. If you want to loosen up that board move that fin forward and go as small as possible to just maintain your position in the lineup. Suddenly it feels like a multifin with none of the extra drag.

Great advice. The goal is to go as small as you can get away with. Black project makes a great single called the epic wave. It's got a wide cord so big area compared to length. I was shocked by how well the 20cm worked on ny 80l waveboard - loose fast, fun and better than the same board as a tri.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: