myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recommendations for Internet Service in White Salmon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for Internet Service in White Salmon Reply with quote

I looked up Gorge Net but it seems pricey for what I'm used to here in the SF Bay Area (well, I get gouged $80/month by Comcast, but at least I get 40mbps service). I'd be happy with 12mbps. Are there any better options?

Apologies in advance if this belongs in the Off topic forum instead. PNW seemed more relevant than the political threads in that forum.

BTW, don't care about cable or phone service. We stream for TV!
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for White Salmon, but I live in Hood River. I had DSL for 3 years and had to settle for 10mbps service ( reality about 7 - 8 ). I finally gave up and went to cable. I joined Charter Communications. I pay for 30 mbps for about $30 a month. I test speeds and get between 23 mbps and 45 mbps depending on time and day.

So you might check to see if Charter serves on your side of the river...
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Charter Cable. It's about $50-60 without any TV services, probably cheaper if you bundle with a TV package.
PeterRhonda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Charter. It was lightning fast when I first got it but it seemed to get more inconsistent the day they switched to all digital TV signal a few months ago. I've had to reboot the model periodically to recover speeds which I never had to do before.

Still, I video conference half the day and any problems are usually at the other end so I would recommend Charter - though we've always had the TV package as well and that may encourage them to give you a modem with more pop.
jota

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on gorgenet forever and my GF is on Charter. I'm not clear what she pays because she bundles but she has much faster speed. That said, I can stream netflix and stuff just fine.

I am writing to tell this story: My internet went out yesterday - a Sunday - and called Gorgenet. There was a customer support guy on duty who answered right away and was really helpful. He tried to configure things . . . there were a couple of calls involved . . . always I got right through without being on hold.

It turned out my wifi router had failed, so he gave me suggestions of what to look for in a new one and invited me to bring my new one down to Gorgenet so he could configure it for me, which I did, all on Sunday. It is a new model so it took a bit of fooling around for him - I'm sure it would have been a major hassle for me to do at home. But when he was done I brought it home and plugged it in and everything was fine on start up.

That's the kind of local service you get when you support a locally owned and operated company like Gorgenet, where you'll see the owner and employees alike down at Double Mountain or out on the water. And the owner and employees can support my business or those of my friends here in the gorge.

That's my 2 cents.
fitek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Charter looks like the best option. While I'd like to support a local business (GorgeNet), it costs 33% more Sad

Now onto finding a gardener, etc... and sorting out how to get from PDX to White Salmon most efficiently...
drblanke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For PDX to White Salmon, you can take the MAX red line from PDX to Chinatown, then walk to Union Station, then Amtrak to Bingen. Takes some time, but $15 or so total.
fitek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drblanke wrote:
For PDX to White Salmon, you can take the MAX red line from PDX to Chinatown, then walk to Union Station, then Amtrak to Bingen. Takes some time, but $15 or so total.

Sweet. I imagine a taxi or shuttle would cost an arm and a leg.

When you say it takes some time... like, 2 hours, or 6?

We're going to leave a car in White Salmon. I checked with Enterprise to see how much it would cost to one way a rental car to Hood River but it was like $100 most days, which is pretty steep. And we have to pay for or lug around car seats.
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google "pdx to bingen amtrak".
PeterRhonda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make the drive between PDX and White Salmon about every 3 weeks so drop a note if you're interested in car-pooling. I usually go away for 3 days or so. If less I park in the long-term lot and if longer the economy lot.

It takes an hour on the nose each way unless there's unusual traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: