myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou 3S 96L/106L vs Naish Starship 100L
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Tabou 3S 96L/106L vs Naish Starship 100L Reply with quote

Like the title says, I need to choose between those 2 FSW boards.
I read UK's WINDSURF magazine march 2014 featuring the 105 FSW boards.
In the intro they categorize the 3S and the Starship as "high-wind freeriders that can go in the surf a bit"
This is exactly what I am looking for. I am a 78kg freerider interested in and progressing into wave. I just started jumping on a 125L board and now I am looking for something more playful.

Both boards seem very similar. I can't find that much information about the Starship though probably because it is new. The 3S in CED construction weighs 1kg less than the Starship and has some extravagant tail cut outs, new for 2014. It also seems that the Starship's sail range is slightly bigger.

Anybody has ridden both boards or maybe has some more experience with the Starship? The WINDSURF magazine guys seems very positive about the Starship. But I have been eyeballing the 3S for over a year backed up with a lot of owners very happy about their board.

If if go Tabou I still have to decide between the 96L and the 106L. That's why the Starship with it's 100L seems perfect..

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Cheers
Anton
winfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: SS 100 Reply with quote

I purchased a Starship 100 as soon as they came out last year.
The design of the bottom is amazing and allows for incredible speed and control in bump and jump conditions. Planes up early and turns very well.
That said, I do have some issues:
- A real challenge to beach start due to the long fin- Koncept 32 . It will stick in the sand, there is no dragging it loose! Reefs and shallow waters could be iffy.
-The fin is essential if you want early planing, but then becomes an issue at speed: the board wants to "rail up" due to the lift from the fin and requires either outboard strap positioning or upward pressure on the straps while pressing down with the heels (not much doming of the deck) to keep the board level.
- Pearls! I have pearled it (nosed in crash) 3 times now. One time resulted in a concussion and neck injury. This has happened both in small to moderate surf as well as Columbia River swell in the Gorge.
- The beautiful glossy black finish shows every scuff.
A great board, but I was hoping for more in the wave aspect.
Hope this helps! (I have no experience with the other board) Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a brilliant idea to ride freeride or even FSW boards purely for surfsailing, as they are designed to go somewhat fast, plane early, using long flat rockers compared to real wave boards.
Certainly a change of fin is in order, something around a 25 pure wave fin or at least something that size and swept back. Of course, that smaller fin would not plane up as early and need a centered strap positioning.
The 32 is for flat water blasting, meaning OUTboard strap positioning.
All real wave boards have more tail rocker, to prevent pearling, and to remain loose on a wave face and loose for the outside jibes, That's why wave boards are slow, are slow to plane, but turn really easily compared to freestyle and FSW boards.
Don't let anyone tell you a pure freeride or FSW board can take the place of a real wave board for wave sailing.
And of course, a wave sailor would never go straight in when the wave get's steep and hollow, as that will pearly any board, even a 6' surfboard.
antonputman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you winfreak for your review!
Your first and last points are not an issue for me.
The railing-up could be because of flat deck like you mention. The 3S has a rather doomed deck I believe.
About the pearling, do you ride other FSW boards? Like zirtaeb mentions are most FSW boards prone to pearling? Or do you feel the Starship has a special feature to do so and what could be that reason?
winfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: SS pearling Reply with quote

I have been on a wide variety of boards and have taken many of them in the surf. FSW's do fine. Pearling is very rare for me. The Starship has the least rocker of any I have been on recently. I'm sure this decreases wind resistance and does make the board easier to pack. It may be that my pearling issue with it is due to the way I aggressively ride the board or that I am not fully in tune with its "sweet spot" balance wise.
I would also be interested to hear if other riders have this same issue.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak about the starship since I haven't sailed it. The 3s I have sailed in the waves and it does pretty well. i'm sure you'll like either one. The year I sailed the 3s it seemed to be a little bigger than advertised, but if you email Matt through pritchardwindsurfing.com I'm sure he'll give you his opinion on size. I really like the Tabou foot straps and the deck pads too, and less weight means earlier planing. Good luck, I'm sure you won't regret either purchase.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys....
For wave sailing, did you know every company makes at least TWO dedicated models of WAVE boards, offered in a whole passle of different sizes?
You didn't? Well, they DO, and guess what? They are used for wave sailing!
And guess what? At least 75% of wave sailors actually use them, and NOT FSW boards, not freestyle boards, not slalom, not freeride boards.
Why you ask?
Shall I go on?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course if you're a pro, you can ride anything in the waves... here's Taty Frans riding his freestyle board in the waves in Maui

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=633094810131589

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have a tabou 106L 2013 i ride it in the wave's often never had a problem
With it pearling. For looking for a more playful board u can also take in the waves, i don't think u can go wrong with a FSW board. Don't know we're u sail or the condition u sail in.so can't help with board size.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically, some guys ride 11'8" SUP's in the waves.
I've ridden my Equipe in on the waves at NaturalBridges, that's 12'4" and 195 lites......
But would anyone CHOOSE to ride a flat water board in the waves?
Try riding Davenport or PaloMarin on your FSW board. You'll stick rails, stuff the nose, and jump to the moon, breaking your board on landings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: