myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South Padre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: South Padre Reply with quote

Is anyone wave sailing SPI these days? I haven't been in the summer. I'm thinking of making the drive, possibly this weekend, but wondering about rules of thumb with the forecast this time of year and which local forecast is best. Also not sure how crowded the beach situation is by Isla Blanca in the summer.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lot of fun tiny wave sailing days at I Blanca, but it's not really wavesailing, as the "waves" tend to be smaller than waist high mostly, very weak, and the winds usually strong enough to power up any sized board, so the waves were mere markers for jumps and wave face turns, not anything worth riding. Almost like sailing on the Dutch coast, as my bud said, who lived and sailed Holland until he joined the Tiga World Cup Team.
But travel distancs being what they are, and the Carribean getting lots of WSW winds lately, there should be some surf and hopefully, some N or S winds.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarie,
For the full National Weather Service marine forecast -- and every applicable computer forecast model known to humanity (use the tool to select the various forecast models) -- as well as tides, and current wind reports, check iWindsurf:

South Padre-Weather Station detail page (the best weather station in the area)
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/539

or

SPI Coast Guard-Weather Station detail page (a pretty good weather station)
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/100765

SPI MAP:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/map#26.078,-97.17,13,1

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.55.56 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.03 KB
 Viewed:  12344 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.55.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.58.02 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.78 KB

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.58.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.57.47 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.86 KB

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 4.57.47 PM.png

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's time to bring your SUP Wind board, or at least a 120 liter board for those breezes and tiny surf.
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights. I'm in Corpus Christi, 3 hours away, and decent weekend wave potential here so this doesn't look like the weekend to make the drive. But don't write off SPI waves! This was lucky and unplanned, but a few years ago I had an excellent spring day there, about head high and very clean. There was one other sailor on the water who I didn't get to meet, so I didn't get the local scoop on specifically what leads to those conditions. But I still daydream of that day. I'm looking to visit again for just a little change of wave scenery and for a fun overnight visit. Will keep an eye on these forecast sites. thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my asking, but wave sailing in CC, do you go somewhere besides PortAransis and ??Bob Carpenter's ???? beaches.
Seems those are shorepound closeouts, with no where to go but in.
I liked SPID because the waves break outside much farther, the water is deeper when you launch, and the shorebreak is more mild.
Mostly, I wave sailed SPID at the backside of where ON THE BEACH was located, rigging there and walking my gear the 5 blocks to surfsail.
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the CC area, Port Aransas has good wave sailing in N and NE winds, which happen fall through spring. Around maybe 8-9 years ago a jetty was built at Packery Channel (JP Luby Park) and the north side of that has become the preferred launch for the predominant southerly direction wind we get much of the year. The south side of the jetty is ok in N/NE but I like Port A much better. No location here would probably impress a wave purist. Some days it is onshore pounding like you mention. But there is a lot of good to be found. Port Aransas is the best bet for nice long rideable waves and sets. At Packery there are several breaks, and while the inside one/s will take you right to the shore, the outside ones can get you some longer and really fun rides. We have flat water and chop launches here as well but to me nothing beats the waves.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good tips.
I've only surfsailed PAransas, finding that other beach too much shorepound with nowhere to go.
And yes, the jetty existed back in the 90's, when I was travelling to the ASIA tradeshows in Corpus.
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Port Aransas jetty has been there quite a while. Since the 1800s I've been told. The jetty at Packery, on the other hand, didn't exist when I moved here. They built it from scratch. It's created a whole new world for windsurfing and surfing--huge improvement. The new channel has also been great for water circulation in the Laguna, and we snorkel there and see more fish diversity. I say "new" but the channel was opened maybe 9 or so years ago now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: