myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think a different board would help with carve jibes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision, the Gecko is a nice board. A Gecko 110 was my go-to board this winter in Tobago. I thought it handled chop better than narrower boards.

I initially had problems to plane out of jibes on the Gecko, until I discovered that not stepping forward as much during the foot switch worked better. If the front foot steps close to the mast or even in front of it, and you put weight on it, you'll slow down the board. Keeping it further back (e.g. just before or in between the foot straps) will keep the board planing better.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck jibes-----Commit early. Reach back on the boom. Don't hold onto the boom after you reach back. Immediately after your hands cross throw the sail back over your shoulder. Its easy. It happens quick if you do it right. I come out of turns faster using a duck jibe almost every time.
slambo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stableroad.com/videos/powerjibeintro.htm-

this was the video that I watched over and over again- I think was the best jibe vid. Also some boards just turns better- the exocet cross 117 was the board that made the difference for me. Don't have it anymore but it turned so well I learned from it. What ever happened to Cort.
slambo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rangerider" They ALL say that the Gecko is a carve jibe machine for first time planing jibers which I hope will be me -

I second that but I decided on the 105 Gecko which sails much bigger and can handle alot of wind as well with a smaller fin. (5.5 to 7.5) It jibes real nice. The Fanatic skates are great jibing and freeride boards as well as excellent freestyle boards. I love my skate 100- it jibes nice but the real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: