myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Recommendations please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a JP X-Cite Ride 134L and am not very happy with it. I will be the first to admit that my skill level is not high, and that I do not adapt rapidly to changes, so those factors must be taken into account.

The board that I sail more frequently is an RRD Fireride 155L twin-fin. I got the JP to try to progress downwards in board size.

My first complaint with the JP, and one where skill level seems less directly relevant, is its fragility. The second time I had it out, a strong gust picked it up on the beach and plopped it down on a pointy rock. The rail cracked like an eggshell.

My second complaint is that the 44 cm fin that is supplied with the board, seems absurdly large for the sails that I use with it: 4.5-5.7 and occasionally 6.4. A 36 cm fin works much better for me. If the day's forecast looks like it is going to be 7.3, I'd have the RRD 155 out instead of the JP.

My third complaint may just be related to skill level and slow learning, combined with some design factor that is much different than the RRD. When I come up from a waterstart, and even more so when I uphaul, the JP board wants very much to point upwind, and it is difficult to get headed back off. I know that this board requires more active back foot steering than I need to use on the RRD, but the behavior still seems strange.

I had hoped that the JP would be better for me in higher winds and choppier water, but so far it has been only more annoying than fun.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every complaint you have about your JP is a function of inexperience. Even the fact that you leave your board unattended on the beach in the wind tells us such. Look hard at your skill level before you consider a board change. It would be money not well spent....
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
]I have a JP X-Cite Ride 134L ...
My second complaint is that the 44 cm fin that is supplied with the board, seems absurdly large for the sails that I use with it: 4.5-5.7 and occasionally 6.4. A 36 cm fin works much better for me.

I totally agree that 44 cm is absurdly large for even the 6.4; many of us use 25 cm with a 6.4. But then 134L is much better suited to 6.0 and up, preferably UP. When powered nicely on 4.5 to 5.7 sails, 75-85L and 22-26 cm ... a bit bigger is OK if the water is completely flat ... would be much more appropriate. If you get decent 5.0 winds more than a few days a year, an 80L board would light up your life.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself at least advanced, closer to top expert in rec sailing, and one of my most fun boards is the old 145 Shark. Powered up, it's fast enough, and underpowered, it planes easily in the straps and powers thru jibes like I was a better pilot than I am.
I do like Isobar's suggestion thoigh, and it's a bretheren to the Shark, a little livelier, a little bouncier, and a little less momentum coming out of jibes. Not better, not worse, but different.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are comfortable in the foot straps & harness but have only hit 24 mph. Your most used sail is a 9.5 @ 185 lbs. You have the skills for a smaller board but do you have the wind? A 24 max speed tells me you don't get much wind, even in the gusts so getting a much smaller board could end up being a trophy that you never use. You'd probably be better off spending the money on a windsurf vacation.

Unless you have an alternative place to sail with more wind I would say:

1) Kona
2) Replace your viper with a freeride board between 75-85 cm wide.

Don't shop for boards by volume, shop for them by width & sail range that you will use, not wish you could use.

Coachg
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from coachg, +1.

Rule #3: Buy/rig what you need to go sailing, not what you want to sail.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Buy/rig what you need to go sailing, not what you want to sail.

Gotta chuckle. A bud rigs what he wants to sail ... until reality dawns and he has to tear it down and rig what works. JEEZ but he spends a lot of time (f)rigging.
bse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
You are comfortable in the foot straps & harness but have only hit 24 mph. Your most used sail is a 9.5 @ 185 lbs. You have the skills for a smaller board but do you have the wind? A 24 max speed tells me you don't get much wind, even in the gusts so getting a much smaller board could end up being a trophy that you never use. You'd probably be better off spending the money on a windsurf vacation.

Unless you have an alternative place to sail with more wind I would say:

1) Kona
2) Replace your viper with a freeride board between 75-85 cm wide.

Don't shop for boards by volume, shop for them by width & sail range that you will use, not wish you could use.

Coachg

I agree 100%, but i don't have the experience to know where to draw the line on size. From what you're saying, something like the bigger 132L JP Magic ride (84cm wide) (or perhaps any 'freemove' board? so many not-quite-clear designations) seems like it would offer a great compromise to the two competing interests, but they're new and expensive. They're not out of the running, but quite an intimidating purchase for me.

I'm not even decided on the size of the Xcite (or any other board) if I should choose that route, it seems like ~130 is doable but maybe challenging in the short term, the ~145 is a much wider board and perhaps more realistic for the winds I get. 120 like others are saying seems pretty low to me, but if the prevailing thought here was it was the right direction I might be convinced.

To clarify a few things... I've only had the GPS a month or two, in that time i've managed to find enough wind to get into the 20's 4 times I think, 2x with the 6.5 2x with the 9.5... I'm sure i've gone there before I had the gps, I suspect the wall at 24 is experience, not wind? so yes the winds could be better, but those speeds are where i'm having the most fun and I feel like the bulk of the Viper is limiting me (I could be wrong). If I had enough vacation time and money for more vacations I would, but it's not an option. Sneaking out of work when the winds pick up is an option though, and one I'm trying to capitalize on. Unfortunately we can't all live in the gorge. I've also snowboarded for 25 years, so i'm accustomed to controlling more with my feet than I seem to be able to with the Viper, which I think is part of my desire for a smaller board, but there is a huge range of boards smaller than the viper.

By Kona, are you talking Kona One? Seems like that's going the opposite direction of the viper? Or am I missing something? I see a 220L board?

Thanks to everyone BTW for the feedback, i've been learning a lot about the different boards as I research them.
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key factor is the largest sail you want to use on the board. If you are wanting more lively better ride but still use the 9.5, then you shouldn't go too small. 130 L with a 9.5 is doable sort of for a skillful sailor but not too fun or easy. If this stepdown board is to take 7.5 max sail, then a broad range of size is usable from 100 L up to about 140 L. My choice in this range would be dictated mostly by wind quality; the more inconsistent the wind, the larger the board to maximize planing. dhmark
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kona One. Again, don't get wrapped up in volume, focus on board width. The Kona is 70 or so cm wide with a step tail so it does not feel like a 220 liter board. Plenty of boards in the 75-85 cm range for you to choose from. 75 cm boards wont be as happy with a 9.5 as an 85 cm board will but will perform much better with 7.0 or so sail.

To me it sounds like you have reached the end of your Vipers ability and seek more performance utilizing the sails you have. There are plenty of inexpensive freeride boards that will out perform your Viper. I'm guessing that with any freeride board your GPS speed will immediately jump up to 27 mph or more. Believe me, you will notice the 3 mph difference even without a GPS.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: