myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do with modern car keys.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR wrote:
The dealer tried to tell me that the keys are "lazer" cut, therefore I wouldn't find anyone able to copy it. I was amazed that a Subaru dealer copy (Carlsen Subaru) was $221 versus $71 for my Mercedes copy by Mercedes.

My findings relate to the 2015 model year. I know that the 2013s used a very different key style (straight sides with a squiggly channel cut down the middle). I do not know which other model years used that same style.

HD claims to be able to copy immobilizer keys for $70. I did not attempt this myself so cannot confirm whether 2015 Outbacks are covered by this service. I doubt that they can copy the straight-sided ones.

SPQR wrote:
Would you mind telling us Subaru owners which/where HD successfully made key copies. Thanks for your research on all this, you have far more partience than me.

Ok, so here's how it went down:

I'm in S Cal and my first dumb key copy attempt was in the Oxnard HD during a test drive from a nearby dealership. Everything went remarkably easily using the newer key machine in the picture before it acquired the "Not Working" sign.

After buying my Outback I went to my nearest HD (in West Hills) where they had the chamber-type machine and I experienced the "Not in Program" message. I also tried the nearby Woodland Hills HD with the same result. Both locations also had the older style key machine but at that point I had not learned that my key needed a non-Subaru blank so I gained the impression from the operators that this machine could not make the copies I needed.

After this experience I decided that the simplest thing was to go back to Oxnard where I knew they could copy the key. Since there were 2 more HD locations between me and Oxnard I stopped by each of them on the way in the hope of shortening the trip. In Thousand Oaks I learned nothing new but in Camarillo there was a very helpful/knowledgeable person. Camarillo had only the older type machine but the operator knew to check non-Subaru blanks. He was able to make a copy but a malfunction in the machine meant that the copy was incorrect.

In Oxnard I was disappointed to find the "good" machine out of service but I was able to guide the operator to finding the appropriate blank for the old style machine (both photos are from Oxnard). They made me 2 copies of the valet key but had no more blanks.

On the way home I made a quick stop in Thousand Oaks where they made two copies of the regular key.

Every HD location that I visited had the older type machine so any one of them could have made my keys provided that the operator knew or was asked to check non-Subaru blanks and that the machine was working correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: