myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 potential Cat 4 Hurricanes barreling in on Hawaii
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iselle was losing its force when it hit the big island, and then those 14000 ft tall mountains there tore it apart. It's now heading off to the east, well south of us.

Maui had very little wind and rain, just some power outages. There's still Julio out there, still a hurricane, and projected to go north of us as a category 1 hurricane fading to a tropical storm. So it looks like a lot of this was much ado about nothing, although I still think it pays to be prepared. But right now it looks like the water quality will be good, and if the wind fills in nicely after Julio it could bring us some swell-probably not real organized for real wave sailing, but could be fun for jumps.

julio.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.89 KB
 Viewed:  11542 Time(s)

julio.gif

SAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does look like we've got some brown water though:

http://www.mauiwindcam.com/liveView/sprecks/
hammerton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Good. Iselle went South and was disrupted by Big Island. Julio is expected to miss us completely. They might close the beachparks on Sunday for hazardous surf. Likely to be light winds over the weekend. Trades as normal from Tuesday on.
bob1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Mauna Kea, nice beat down . . . . . Iselle, don't F with Pele!!

Barring a major about face by Julio, I'll be at OGG by noon tomorrow, looking forward to some rare summer N Shore swell . ..

Thanks all for your input, Much Aloha & Jah!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we all dodged a couple of bullets, Kauai only got a day of rain and moderate wind that wasn't even as strong as a typical day on Maui.
Have a great vacation Bob1, hope the trades come back soon.
bob1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from Maui:

Not much wind Sun thru Tues, but nice south swell to play w my kids . . .

BUT then today scored an incredible afternoon at Ho'okipa -- low 20's and overhead+ N swell brought out all the big guns, USS1111 et al. Just fantastic wave sailing. So much fun, incredibly challenging (for me), and surrounded by some of the best wave sailing talent in the world. Everyone was stoked to get this kind of session in mid-August! Thanks Julio!

So glad I didn't balk on this trip -- island took little damage, water quality great, and not crowded -- having a great vacation. Irie!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB
 Viewed:  11279 Time(s)

image.jpg

justingordon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1 wrote:
Update from Maui:
BUT then today scored an incredible afternoon at Ho'okipa -- low 20's and overhead+ N swell brought out all the big guns, USS1111 et al. Just fantastic wave sailing. So much fun, incredibly challenging (for me), and surrounded by some of the best wave sailing talent in the world. Everyone was stoked to get this kind of session in mid-August! Thanks Julio!
So glad I didn't balk on this trip -- island took little damage, water quality great, and not crowded -- having a great vacation. Irie!

Stoked you had a good time. I was surfing at the point on the red and white board until 11:30am. I can say 100% that we had some winter caliber sets rolling into the point!

A lot of people ask me when to visit Maui, and there really is no right or wrong time. I've seen some of the biggest surf on both north and south shores come in during September, and in prior years, we've had consistent wind in December and January, which tend to be flat.

The good thing about Maui is that if you enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, then you can't go wrong at any time of year. But if you're ONLY going to a windsport (or a non-windsport), then you can be disappointed. So learn some other sports and be stoked no matter when you come!

I came to Maui only as a windsurfer, and now I spend most of my time surfing and paddling. Here's a topic on my new forum for tips on learning to surf, with my own personal experiences: http://forum.talksurf.com/t/learning-to-surf/358
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: