myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote to Alameda crossing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Coyote to Alameda crossing Reply with quote

Need input from anyone who has sailed from Coyote Point to Alameda and back. How many miles is the crossing and how long did it take you to make the roundtrip journey? How is the wind to past the mid channel markers to Alameda ( any holes)? Finally, what was your board size/sail size setup. I've done roundtrips from Coyote to Oyster, Oyster to the Stick, Third to Hayward and would like to eventually make this crossing before the end of this sailing season and before I become too old to even attempt it!

Regards,

Bert
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, Bay crossing bucket list! I rarely sail Coyote, but one time I sailed way out there with a 5.O reasonably powered and went right into a big hole of flat glassy water. Maybe it was a giant wind shadow cast by San Bruno Mountain. There were birds resting on the water in the middle of the Bay. I still had momentum coming out of the windy section, and did a planing jibe in dead air and then ghosted back over to the wind line and got the heck out of there.

I would say go big as you can and go on a really windy day. What's that broken-mast thrill-seeker dude's name. Andre? I think he posted about making the Coyote-Alameda crossing before.

windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and take a radio!
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go more toward San Leandro Marina? Seems like when the wind is good at 3rd ave / Coyote, it is also happening over toward San Leandro. ("filled in"). Alameda seems to 'do its own thing'.

I've done TI to Crissy and back a few times. rode a floaty board and used the biggest sail I could handle in high winds - a 5.9 in my case.

ditto on the radio. also suggest a water bottle.
bigmikeh24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it around 1987 or '88 on a 10'6" Fanatic Bat. It was 25 years ago so I don't remember exactly how the wind was but I know I was powered enough to make it all the way. I broke a harness line about 1 mile from Alameda. That made me not want to do it again.
bert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that during the heyday of windsurfing 20 yrs back and more, a number of guys made that crossing. I distinctly remember one old salt who sailed from Coyote to the Stick and back on a Mistral Flex and 5.0 ( which totally blew me away). Guess you could say that this is on my bucket list.

Last edited by bert on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote to Alameda crossing Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Need input from anyone who has sailed from Coyote Point to Alameda and back. How many miles is the crossing and how long did it take you to make the roundtrip journey? How is the wind to past the mid channel markers to Alameda ( any holes)? Finally, what was your board size/sail size setup. I've done roundtrips from Coyote to Oyster, Oyster to the Stick, Third to Hayward and would like to eventually make this crossing before the end of this sailing season and before I become too old to even attempt it!

Regards,

Bert

Just double the distance to the outside buoys, the navigation channel is roughly "midway". It would take not too long, at most 30', if the wind was steady but the main problem is that it will decrease. I have gone quite a way east of the main channel in multiple occasions but when I turned back the wind was always much lighter ... get close to Alameda and you will be in conditions worse than the inside at Coyote. If I were to try I would go in conditions when I am well powered up at Coyote with my slalom + 6.6. No B&J and 5.0 ...
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for my drought years/good for wind theory. Sort of a no-brainer but wait until a more consistent wind pattern emerges. I'm sitting in my office on Oyster Point Blvd with my shirt sticking to my back. Pray for wind on the ninsula.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a way to insert myself into the discussion and shift the focus on me. My buddy Dan and me been waiting for a OP Marina to Coyote down winder and have yet to have the conditions. Wind god willing.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my Bay crossing from Coyote on Sunday at 2 pm. Rigged 6.2 slalom/95 L Fanatic Freewave with the thrusters removed. Changed the center fin with a 11 3/4 for better pointing. Did well and sailed comfortably for 'bout 9 miles before hitting the Bay's version of the Sargasso Sea. It was a slogfest afterwards with some uphauling required making me wish for a bigger board. Because of the flood and wind direction I drifted off course but picked up some wind after 20 minutes and semi planed to the Oakland Airport. No place to make landfall so I headed back and once I hit the windline it was a brutal ride back to Coyote with the nasty flood chop and 4.5 winds. While I did not make it to Crown Beach, hell, I'll take it and cross this one off my bucket list. I did sail safe and brought a radio but forgot to bring water and my rosary beads. Total distance covered was about 12 miles each way and it took me about an hour and half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: