myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bootie fetish for HI is due simply to making DAMNED sure I don't kick a reef and get a vacation-ending staph infection. I go without them some places there, but tend to err on the safe side after the medical experiences some people have had.

My preference for AC is also purely personal, but not unique. What some people consider comfortable I consider too hot for watching TV, let alone sleeping.

Just trying to give the newbies a heads-up on some potential known issues many people never think about.
MrFish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moron bars speaks. The world shrugs.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFish wrote:

And there goes the thread, right down the toilet. When HE wants information on SeaLions, he asks for my input, but if I respond to someone else, look out. Nice guy.

MauiMakani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note supporting Isobars suggestion of bringing booties if you have them. Like others have said, you probably don't need them at the north shore spots, but Isobars mentioned that he sails Kihei sometimes, and that is where the booties can come in handy. At lower tides, you can be sailing in just a foot or so of water over reef and coral heads (or less if you are not paying attention to the reefs and tides), so not touching the bottom can be challenging if you go down. I have seen a lot of cut up feet in Kihei over the years, so I always recommend booties there to avoid a nasty cut and infection. If you are only going to sail the north shore, it is much less of an issue since you are almost always sailing in at least a few feet of water and can avoid touching the bottom.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFish wrote:

I'd have to go with Iso on this one. There is too much crap out there to step in that can ruin your day. Also last time in HI during the month of July we did not use the AC as a ceiling fan over the bed was all that was needed but it is nice to have it just in case. Some people just can't sleep unless the room is ice cold.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One common error is to rent a Jeep. Esp to go to Hana. It is the worst.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Matt Pritchard delivers gear as well, so you don't have to rent a car that can fit the gear. As long as you don't want to sail anywhere else.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Matt P has the perfect solution. From Spreckelsville, you can sail down to Kanaha, or sail up to Hookipa. I did the Hookipa adventure one year, and I'll remember it the rest of my life. Also, tradewinds are often very dependable at Sprecks, especially during the summer months.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasussman wrote:
isobars wrote:

The LAST thing is air conditioning. I won't even TRY to do without that. I swear the people who say Maui cools down at night must live outdoors in Houston. Sad

I disagree with 2 things in your post:
1) the line above. Remember, Haleakala is 10,000 ft tall. If you live down on the ocean, AC is nice, but even then not necessary if you have good air flow through your place. I recently had the good fortune to house sit at a ocean front Makena house-a shack sitting on land that is being sold for $5 mill. It had only screened windows and an overhead fan, and was fine at night. And if you live at a reasonable elevation (I live at 1000 ft) it is quite nice at night. If you go higher, like up to Kula, many people use heat of some kind at night.
2) booties: if you sail without booties at home, you don't need them here, as long as you are careful when you fall over a reef to waterstart without kicking down. The only time I wear booties is if I'm scuba diving and have to walk over rocks to get into the water.

image.jpg
 Description:
Booties are a good precaution against a 900.00 clinic visit and a week out of the water... Just say'n,Bull PS Go with the A/C.
 Filesize:  23.61 KB
 Viewed:  14133 Time(s)

image.jpg

keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change since those years is the cost of a place in Sprecks.
The least expensive home in that area comes in well over a million, and rentals usually match .
The Coves is the only condo complex. They are less than a million but not by much.
I almost bought one of the few empty lots there from Anders Bringdal. It was a bargain, as far from the sea as you can get. I lost the bid at $700,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: