myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure booties protect your feet, just as a helmet protects your head, gloves your hands, wetsuits your body, etc.

I wasn't saying don't use booties. That's a personal choice. What I'm saying is if you sail normally without booties you don't need them on Maui as long as you don't kick down when you're waterstarting directly over the reef and you watch where you step on dry land and as you enter and exit the water. Even in Kihei where it can be more shallow then the north shore you can sail barefoot if you're careful. The water is clear enough you can tell when you're over a reef. The amount of Maui residents who use booties is definitely in the single digit %.

I believe a person should sail in what they are comfortable in. If one normally sails without booties, then he or she doesn't need to change that just for Maui. If on the other hand, you sail in booties all the time and are comfortable in them, use them here.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise would be to find a white sugarloaf pineapple, at mid September they may still be in season which goes from about 4th of July to about Labor day.
You will never taste a pineapple like this, so sweet, less fiberous, I'm going thru one a week right now. They cost $15 but well worth it.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go barefoot, but if you plan on sailing Kanaha bring or get a pair of el cheapo flip flops that you can leave on the beach while you sail. There are these unavoidable killer little spiky pine cones in the walk to the beach and heebie jeebie grass in the rigging area that murdered my whimpy feet.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go barefoot at Kanaha. It ruins the line of my leg to have a bootie tan.

-Craig
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend most of my days here on the central coast of Ca. wearing slaps and long pants, not many shorts days in my area. I end up with tan feet and pale legs, and then I go to Maui, and I wear some kind of booties when w'surfing, I know the coral bite all too well.
My legs get tan and my feet don't as much, so I end up all balanced out by the end of the trip.
It's all in the way you set it up.

Doesn't last very long though.
chris2688

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Maui Tips on activities and things to do, Drums of the Pacific Luau at the Hyatt Regency is one of our favorite activities.

The luau and grand fire with authentic Polynesian / Hawaiian dances are unmatched! The sound of the conch shell and the beating of drums introduce you to the luau and you get to feast on a traditional Hawaiian buffet and be entertained by a Polynesian revue featuring authentic dances and a grand fire knife finale!
Travel Agency OKC
justingordon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Aloha! Reply with quote

I second Matt Pritchard on being an amazing instructor. I've had many friends come to visit me at Sugar Ranch who have taken lessons with Matt, and every single one LOVED it! Old picture of me and Kirk Lindstrom with Matt attached.

BTW, I bought my place, aka Sugar Ranch Maui in 2000 and eventually built and designed my own house, where many friends and family come to visit.

I've got lots of photo albums of life in Maui here.

For better or worse, I've become like many windsurfers that move to Maui, surf lots, and have busy lives. We get addicted to surfing without a sail, especially since it's a great, time-efficient workout.

If you're curious, you can read about the Maui based tech company I started in this article: Who is ShakaCode?.

My contact info is there, and I love Facebook friend requests from other sailors, kiters, surfers, etc.

24522_385079953957_7643004_n.jpg
 Description:
Justin, Matt, Kirk
 Filesize:  103.49 KB
 Viewed:  10918 Time(s)

24522_385079953957_7643004_n.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: