myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South Padre vs. North Padre?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: South Padre vs. North Padre? Reply with quote

Thinking of a late October trip. I know, still the risk of a Hurricane, but so be it. It's a good time of year for me and wanted to get there a little off season.

Looking for that flat shallow water, accessible rental gear to try out some new equipment and less crowds.

What are the options? Also, I assume North Padre is more accessible to any culture that may exist with non windsurfing wife who is dying to go! Scenic beaches and good housing are also a plus with her.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "things to do" SPI in a heartbeat. After all it is the "tourist Padre". But if you are renting, then that gets tougher. I think you will get better gear at Bird Basin than you will at SPI. After 4 - month long trips to SPI in spring using my own gear, I think it's time for me to move on to other places. Too many low wind days to justify it (unless of course you kite)...
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are windsurfing, like flat water, and need rental gear it is hard to beat Worldwinds in Corpus Christi (Bird Island Basin - North Padre).

http://www.worldwinds.net/

For kiting, most people seem to prefer SPI.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked serious locals whether the winds are generally better at N vs S PI. The consensus was little difference overall, maybe some timing difference. Realize that PI can go for years with distinctly different weather patterns, often associated with Pacific Ocean temperature oscillations (El Nino vs La Nina, for example).

For MUCH more PI info, search the forum archives with keywords such as Corpus or Padre, with the "Posts", not "Topics", button selected. You will find, for example, that locals call a day on which the peak momentary wind was 21 mph a "21 mph day". Caveat Emptor.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Texas and recommend Corpus Christi for a trip this time of year. The wind is more consistent than SPI.

Worldwinds in Bird Island is a great shop with good equipment. The spot is shallow, warm and very user friendly. You can get to the beach in just a few minutes.

For culture it depends what you're looking for. SPI is a lot of fun during the spring and summer months but start to quiet down in the fall. Since CC is a larger city, the night life will be a bit more consistent.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corpus is a real town, so it wins for your wife. Theaters, restaurants, traffic, yuppie scene, spread out windsurfing with driving time.
SPID is more laid back, and with it, that lack of "culture". We don't consider drunk teenager's as part of "culture". Port Isabelle is across the bridge from SPID, with a theater, bowling alley, and 6 fast foods and 3 restaurants.
Free beach camping, 50 dollar motel rooms, walk from sailing flats to surf, and long easy "surf" sailing are plus's to SPID.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, getting the wind you want is about playing the percentages. Much of the wind at those places is thermal driven. At that time of the year, the water has already warmed up to it's max, and the land is starting to cool down. At that point, the thermal effect is gone. That doesn't mean you'll get skunked. It just means that your percentages aren't so much in your favor.

Look at tripadvisor for activities and nightlife. SPI is a true resort town with high rise condos, and restaurants/bars on the bay and beach. Most tourist activity is done after school is back in session. But empty can be cool and inexpensive.

Bird Island is isolated. There are very few nice places to stay and eat near the sailing spot. Corpus is about a half hour drive away.

Water access for rental gear is easier at Bird Island. But it is by no means difficult at SPI.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a wrench in the discussion. How does Hatteras compare to Bird Island late October? Again, looking for access to rental gear to try new equipment, flat shallow water and less crowds. I am used to light midwest air, big sails, so anything around 5.5 - 6.5 is windy to me.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a curve ball for you. Kona Worlds is being held at the end of October in the Florida keys. Charter boards are still available.

Check here: http://class.konaone.com/Event/210/2014-kona-world-championships

Video from the recent Kona Europeans is here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=776839822373709&set=vb.165556806835350&type=2&theater

Expect a similar scene.

All ages and all skill levels. It will be like a week of lessons, and your wife would love Islamorada. The launch is right at the host hotel.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-read your last post. This would be REALLY good for you, since the board and skills are something that you could regularly use at your home sailing spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: