myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for Bic Electric Rock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flaherty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I learned to jibe on my Erock. An awesome board in it's day. Very forgiving.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
should have gotten one of these instead of the similarly sized and supposedly faster mistral energy. there was a cohort of jibe impaired sailors on the whole east coast referred to as the "energy generation" by one well known east coast sail rep. everyone who went a-rock to e-rock was ripping carve jibes in no time.

Yes! The design change in the early 90's, from the late 80's philosophy of the original Screamer and the Shredder, to the Energy/Explosion was no picnic for average sailors. Super sharp rails, flat rockers, and eggshell lightweight construction of the Energy/Explosion may have been good for racers of exceptional skill but not for me. And if you were really masochistic you could get these new shapes in 'XR' construction--yikes! The mast forward, forgiving rails and rocker of the Screamer, E-Rock made for a wide sail range and lots of control. (Remember the "Ophiphi Speed Dent" on Screamer/Stinger--not sure what that was about!). I had a Screamer-like Hi-Tech glass board ('87 9-0 Slalom Pro) that easily handled 3.6 - 6.5 sails. Can't get that range on any modern 100 liter board.

However about 10 years ago I compared old and new. At the time I was riding F2 Axis and Xantos. I pulled out my old trusty Hi-Tech that had been lying around in the garage just to compare, and its mast forward ride felt kinda dull in comparison...trade-offs, trade-offs. Gave away the Hi-Tech.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked Energy's, but was using HiPerTecks and Preister's those years.
And Haut Chop and waves.
Energy's really jibe well, if you do sheeted in semi laydown jibes to plane thru your turns.
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. nice oversheeted, semi-laydown world cup jibe and they ripped it. on at least 1m more sail than any of us used on that board as bumbling lntermediates trying to teach ourselves to jibe by video. thank you ABK finally.
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to be easier to gybe than my '05 Bic Vivace 270, at least for me. Sold it at a swap a year or so later without making but a handful of gybes on it. Went like hell in a straight line, though. Luckily my trusty Ecstasy helped build my gybe confidence.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the 270 Vivace jibed really well. Had several in the early 2000's, and they were great for showoff jibes near the launch docks and Lordships restaurant for all to see.
Like Sputniks of that era, you can jam the turn has hard as you want, or glide thru with full sail power, and always plane out smooth and efficient.
Only board I didn't like for jibes was the Edge, the ears catching and spitting you off if you really tried a full powered jibe.
Ectasy...heavy sluggish wave board barely able to get out of it's own way. Eruption was a major improvement.
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to your superior ability LeeD.
Is there a board you don't have an opinion on?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecstasys were auto-jibe boards. Vivacis not so much. Rode'm both, like the
Ecstasy much better, though it was indeed none too speedy, and it would pearl
on a steep swell, but it was a blast to ride and oh so comfy. The Vivaci (for me)
was a frightening experience not knowing when I might trip over the rail in a jibe, but it indeed seemed fast under foot.

-Craig
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the board and conditions that get us over the carving jibe hump can set up habits (good or bad) for life. For me it was the Electron in Buzzards Bay. I learned to jam the Electron's rail over hard in between Buzzards Bay chop swells, even luffing the sail clew over the nose if needed (coming down to next swell too fast, which happens a lot in Buzzards).

"Success" can be limiting--To this day I jibe fine on any reasonable swell but can't do a flat water jibe exiting with speed, much less even dream of completing a laydown. The success of staying dry has kept me doing the same things...so without a swell to push me my jibe exits are slow. Need to work on that.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the 1st board I could really rip a jibe on was a custom Bailey
8'10". But those E rocks were very sweet and easy jibers (and riders).
My all time favorite jiber is a full custom Cross M glass 8'2" (which I still own
and ride more than 20 years later).

In order of short board jibe joy I'd have to go with:
1. Cross M
2. Ecstasy
3. Bailey
4. E Rock
5. Logosz Squish
6. Clubber Custom (my own design)
7. Mikes Lab slalom
8. Gem slalom
207 CFX
208 Vivaci
209 HyperTech
210 Progressive Composites

I used to be able to rip jibes in flat water, but then I learned to
swell jibe, which has sorta reduced the efficiency of my flat water
jibes, so yeh, you can develop habits directed towards specific boards
or conditions, which might not carry over to generic boards or conditions.

-Craig

shreddbob wrote:
I wonder if the board and conditions that get us over the carving jibe hump can set up habits (good or bad) for life. For me it was the Electron in Buzzards Bay. I learned to jam the Electron's rail over hard in between Buzzards Bay chop swells, even luffing the sail clew over the nose if needed (coming down to next swell too fast, which happens a lot in Buzzards).

"Success" can be limiting--To this day I jibe fine on any reasonable swell but can't do a flat water jibe exiting with speed, much less even dream of completing a laydown. The success of staying dry has kept me doing the same things...so without a swell to push me my jibe exits are slow. Need to work on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: