myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
UPDATED Video: Unending SW flow ALL DAY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: UPDATED Video: Unending SW flow ALL DAY! Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

If you are a coast sailor or kiter or your home waters are adversely impacted by SW flow you are probably wondering what is going on this summer.

And the forecast geek talk about counter-clockwise spinning surface eddies and 850mb lows over the Bay Area does not help much.

So below is a split screen animation that shows the 2 causes of today's southerly flow.

On the LEFT you can see the surface eddy that is created by the North Pacific High perversely having NNE wind west of the ocean buoys.

On the RIGHT you can see the model output of the 850 mb low pressure area at 5000 feet centered right over the Bay Area.

Together these features maintain southerly flow most of the day. However I am forecasting both of these critters to die tomorrow so the Waddell, Crissy, Coyote & 3rd. winds should improve Friday.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

SurfaceEddy&850Low.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  6654 Time(s)

SurfaceEddy&850Low.gif

Last edited by windfind on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
veterduet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Follow the wind Reply with quote

Mike

Love that counterclockwise eddy! This has been one of the best seasons I can remember at PT. Isabel/Marina Bay. Those South Bay and Penninsula folks should be doing the reverse of the drive I used to do to Candlestick when the wind was predominantly NW and the east bay was spotty at best.

Last edited by veterduet on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Video: Unending SW flow? Reply with quote

This has been one of the worst Mid July -Aug seasons in a few years! Maybe September October will pick it up. I sailed plenty (especially at TI/Coyote) but I cannot remember another year when I MTB so much in summer! Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic wind year for Larkspur and Berkeley, Pt.Isabelle too.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the combo of the Golden Gate, passing Cut-Off Low and frequent upper troughs has made this best season in many years for Larkspur, Pt. Isabel, Berkeley and sometimes Sherman Island.

The satellite imagery below shows today's tiny Golden Gate eddy did in keep spinning from pre dawn to late afternoon. So I was right and the models were wrong about the all day southerly flow. But if you look carefully at the last few frames you can see then North Pacific High sneaking a squirt of NW wind into the Peninsula.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

AllDay Golden Gate Eddy.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  809.35 KB
 Viewed:  6519 Time(s)

AllDay Golden Gate Eddy.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: