myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need backloop help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Need backloop help Reply with quote

How come everytime I get a good ramp and try a backloop I completely over rotate it? I can`t seem to get the timing right and land it nose first. After about 250 attempts I either under or over rotate. Haven`t come close to completing one. Any tips?
feuser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need backloop help Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
How come everytime I get a good ramp and try a backloop I completely over rotate it? I can`t seem to get the timing right and land it nose first. After about 250 attempts I either under or over rotate. Haven`t come close to completing one. Any tips?

From someone who can't seem to land one, either:
Are you concentrating on height, not rotation? Do you spot the landing, or look at your mast base (I seem to do that)?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rotation is primarily determined with your front hand. Pull the front had in and you rotate faster. Push your front hand out and it slows down the rotation. Once you have that figured out, it's just a matter of finding the angle to land. Land with your clew straight into the wind and you'll naturally rotate the rest of the way after you hit the water.
Look where you want to land and control it with your front hand.
There are ways to stretch your legs out on an under rotated one and still land it but I think I'd focus on how the front hand sheeting in or out affects the rotation.
Hope that helps. Very Happy
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt pritchard says to soar into one. i've tried to force them by turning into the wind while going up the ramp. that forces the over rotation. search for his tips on back loops. seaaiken has sage advice as well.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muchas Gracias! Yes, I think my front hand is sucked into my chest as I try to tuck up my legs. It makes sense, just like a skater pulling arms in to spin faster. Can`t wait to try some more.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attempts all fail to rotate enough. I am stuck staring at the water as I do a bellyflop on my back--the impact is a lot bigger than I would expect. I know I am a little low b/c I am not a huge jumper. Any advice based on these low height loop videos? (Thanks Sean Aiken for your help yesterday.)
From Continent Seven

rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Sean, you want to be landing either pointing downwind, or with the sail pointed downwind, correct?

Philodog, thanks for posting the two videos. Usually, the backy advice comes from guys who sail the gorge or in waves, and they get HUGE ramps and/or tons of power, so they have all the time in the world. Those of us who back loop off lake chop (not Great Lake chop; those are inland seas....) need specific techniques, since it's super hard to pull one around off even big lake chop. I always land short, so it's good to see a couple videos where the back loop is stuck and it's off a fairly small ramp in both cases, so obviously, it can be done. Good find!

30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another perspective from MP
"Go straight up on a steep wave. Don't jump straight into the wind. When I get to the top I turn with my head and open the clew by pushing the backhand. When I start coming down I slide my back hand a little further forward."
https://vimeo.com/34486960

ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times I have tried them, I just got backwinded and slammed. LOL. Too old and beaten up to try them now.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is a my attempt at a low height backloop. Aside from the height, is there anything I am doing wrong? What can I do to rotate faster to complete at this height?

The attached is a combination of 6 original images from iwasphotographed.com. I am buying some so hope the copyright below is not an issue. Message me if you want the attached removed. If you sail the Gorge, look for the guy in the Zodiak drifting around. He posts all the pictures for sale!

cm_backie.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  531.04 KB
 Viewed:  16261 Time(s)

cm_backie.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: