myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, board purchase
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that storing and transportation can be a problem for some people, so a longboard is not a universal solution. But I disagree about it being a niche solution. Many people transport their boards on their rooftop anyway, so a longer board is not difficult to carry. In fact, I find *board Start boards more cumbersome because of the width.

I think a Kona is quite non-niche since it can be used easily between 0 and 20 kts. Given a choice between a Start, an old longboard or a kid shortboard that floats them, my kids choose the Kona all the time. They pefer the old longboard for bashing since they can't break it however! For experts, races are held in up to 28 kts. This large range brings a cost effective solution to having fun on the water in diverse conditions.

An inflatable one would be great, but I don't imagine anything holding up to overpowered blasting on a plane... Maybe a board with an inflatable front end and a rigid back end? The front is used mostly in displacement mode, with less stress, while the back needs high strength.
mikeg83

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the idea of the Kona, but I think the price at this moment is a just a little more than I'd currently like to spend. The fact that they're a growing onedesign class was especially appealing though since I've been sailing/racing for so long--maybe one day. I've still been looking for used gear and a Mistral Malibu with a 5.5 sail popped up for about $300 not too far away. Would this be a decent setup to purchase?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeg83 wrote:
I've still been looking for used gear and a Mistral Malibu with a 5.5 sail popped up for about $300 not too far away. Would this be a decent setup to purchase?

It would work but you'll outgrow it after just a season if not sooner. If you buy it look for a bigger sail also. BTW there is an add on the buy/sell section for a BIC Core 148 from a Florida guy. That's a board that will keep you entertained for a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: