myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, board purchase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeg83

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: New to windsurfing, board purchase Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into windsurfing and have been looking at used boards to purchase. I've been sailing for 20 years and was an instructor for 8. I've also spent the past few winters snowboarding in Colorado. Last week I took a beginner lesson to make sure I wasn't missing anything, it went pretty well. Currently, I'm living in Florida, splitting time between Palm Beach County and the Fort Myers area. After this year I think I will probably be somewhere on the east coast (N.C., VA, etc.) Not sure what windspeeds I'd be looking at, probably 8-15kts, maybe up to 20-25?

I have no idea what size or type of board to look for or avoid. Several years ago I messed around on a large Mistral board with a daggerboard, probably from the mid-90's and I think I'd prefer something a little smaller. During the lesson I used one of the wide beginner boards and it seemed almost too easy, so I don't think I'm interested in one of those.

I think I'd like something I'd be able to progress on, but not outgrow too fast. I'm in decent shape, about 150-160lbs.

Thanks for any info/advice.

- Mike
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a place in Fla. to rent for at least 5 separate days. That will be all you'll need until you progress to the next smaller board. Then rent that smaller board for 5 days. Now you should be good enough to buy your 1st mid size transition board. Lessons would be helpful, and a good use of your money.

Good Luck!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not want to get a super-wide beginner board, but you'll still be best off with a pretty big board with a daggerboard; what we call a "longboard."

A longboard is a lot faster than a shortboard in non-planing conditions, and only slightly slower in planing conditions. You can also get a good angle into the wind on a longboard in non-planing conditions, whereas a shortboard will crab and barely go upwind at all.

Once you get comfortable using bigger sails and sailing in strong wind with the daggerboard retracted, planing, using the harness and footstraps, then you're ready to think about getting a shortboard (board with no daggerboard). But you'll probably still want to keep the longboard for light winds.

Good modern longboards are Kona ONE, Exocet WindSUP 11'8" and 10'0", RRD Longrider, and a variety of "beginner" boards of varying lengths and widths.

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your weight, you might find one of the new wide boards, like a Fanatic Gecko, a good early planing board if you get around 130 lt. Pair that with a 7.5 sail and you should get planing in around 12 - 14, if that is what you want. I would think that that combination would work well in Florida.

Later you would add smaller sails and a smaller board.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you not to get a brand new board right away.First You are entering a phase in your progression when you are going to do a lot of damage to your equipment and second you are not ready for a performance board yet and the ones that are more suited for you now get boring soon.
The equipment I would be looking at if I were you is a 2005 or later freeride board around 130-140 liters /no dagger necessary / and a ~7 m sail. This setup will make you planing soon enough . Choosing days with moderate wind and spots with flatter water and an easy walk back to the launch/in case you drift too far downwind / will speed up your progression a lot. You may attach some kind of a nose protector to your board also since there will be lots of catapulting Smile. A board bag will prevent from damage off the water.
Once you are confidently planing in the footstraps and starting to look for more speed , carve jibes etc. you may look at a new 120 ish freemove or freerace boards and one or two more sails for light to moderate wind and a smaller fsw and/or wave board and sails for strong wind. Good luck!!!
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you want as a beginner is a board that will give you the most time on the water. A board you can sail all of the times when anyone else would be windsurfing. In FL (and most other places) the only kind of board that fits that recipe is a longboard. Don't limit your early windsurfing just to days when planing is possible. Don't sit on the beach for an hour waiting for the wind to get strong enough to plane with your too small board when longboards are already out there sailing.

Sailing today with on a 220 liter Kona longboard with an 8.2 sq. meter sail in the first hour I consistently passed another sailor on a 160 liter board with a 9.5 sq. meter sail. The second hour we were planing and he could pass me. With my daggerboard I could sail upwind at much higher angles so I sailed upwind to a marina then had a great planing run for 1.5 miles slightly downwind while he kept on going back & forth in the same area where he spent the first hour. The wind speed was about 6-8 mph with short planing gusts the first hour and was 12-15 most of the 2nd hour.

I want as many days as possible to have sailable winds. I stack the deck in my favor by having longboards.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on a long board with a big retractable centerboard.

If you get bored with that within 3 years, be thankful that you were able to progress to that point in 3 years. Check out the short video on the Kona Worlds thread. Those folks have been on 'big clunky boards' forever.

If you decide to go with a board that doesn't have a retractable centerboard, make sure to keep this forum updated on the frustration you'll be going through. Trying to learn and sail on gear that was designed to only work in planing conditions is just wrong, unless you live in one of those rare places where high consistent wind is the norm.
mikeg83

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys!

I think a couple things got a little lost at some point along the way. Just to clarify, I'm definitely looking at used equipment at this time, I'm also not opposed to a longboard. I was just thinking there had to be something at least slightly smaller than the monster I sailed a few years ago, it had to be at least 6-8" thick and seemed to weigh a ton.

I think I'll probably get at least one more lesson. But in the mean time I just wanted to have an idea of what to keep a look out for on craigslist, etc so I don't make a ridiculously bad purchase. I figure once the basic techniques are down, the best way to get better is to sail.

Thanks again!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think a Kona One would be a great board for you. If you are interested, there will be a big bunch for sale after the Kona World Competition that will take place at the end of October, in Southern Florida.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Kona is a great solution for light wind applications. It's great but not perfect. Unfortunately it's length and weight to some extent make it a Mission Impossible for people with limited storage and transportation options like me and renders it to a boutique product.
My solution at the time was to put a mast track on a 9' SUP which is too slow for long distance cruising with its wave rocker and tail, but lots of fun to play with in the surf or do basic freestyle when flat. Fast forward to present days and we are more spoiled for choice then ever. With the progress made in the inflatables department there is a variety of shapes and sizes inflatable WindSUPs offered by most big brands that don't collapse as much as they used to and the best part is you can store them in a big backpack like a kite. For those that don't own a windsurf rig yet there are compact and easy to rig ones made specifically with the inflatables in mind. Now That looks like a mass product, no?
Who knows we might see an inflatable Kona one day, until then I'm not sold, sorry .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: