myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mike's lab Boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Mike's lab Boards Reply with quote

Anyone riding at newish Mike's freeride board. I'm on the build list and wondering if anyone has a recent board...
derekd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty recent slalom board, 2 yrs old. Lightweight model. Mac has a 1 yr old model, pretty much same shape only bigger. Love it.
Stay on the list, or let me take your place.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest Mike's Lab board is an early 2011 model . It's what Mike calls a wave slalom, and it's about 80 liters with 3 footstraps. While it's probably quite a bit smaller than the board that you're anticipating on having made, it is an awesome board that was immediately friendly and comfortable, but still very fast and maneuverable. I bought it to replace the Open Ocean 8'2" Tri-fin designs that I have been riding since early 1996. It is significantly lighter by a huge margin, yet I'm surprised how easily it handles really rough conditions, which has always been a hallmark of the OOs. In my view, this board knocks it out of the ballpark.

I've been riding Mike's boards since 1992, and in total, I've got 9 of them (still have them all). I've got a 2008 model that is probably exactly what you are looking for, but I have to admit that I have hardly used it (3 times where it wasn't the right choice for the session), so I can't offer a practiced opinion of it. Of the 7 boards that I carry in my van, 4 of which are MLs, so I have a lot of choices.

If you want, I'll take some photos of it so that you get an idea about its features (shape, cut-outs, etc.). Also, if I happen to have a chance to get up to Lake Lopez, I'll let you demo it.

Lastly, Mike's leadtime can often be quite long, but try not to get discouraged. Believe me, you'll never regret your decision in the long run. I never have.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, Mac has this year's, 80cm wide, but he's a big guy, and pure slalom.
The last freeride I've seen is around SWChandler's vintage, 3 years old, soft rails, pug nosed, slight rocker out the back, friendly, but not too fast.
The rider makes it fast.
Consider.....Derrick above has a '13 Isonic107, and is still wanting a Slab.
No company can approach the build quality of a Slab.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking something like the Tabou Rocket 115 only built better. My last 3 boards delaminate just in front of the back strap. So 240/242 long and 66/68 wide. Around 110 liters or so. This will be a lite wind lake board for lite and gusty 6.5 and 5.5 When it get solid 5.5 I have a 3s 96 that is great....
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think USA 4 was selling a Slab around those dimensions, 2005, but it's no longer listed.
Are you sure you want freeride and not slalom? Some of his latest slalom boards look like they have somewhat friendly rails.
I've been riding my JPSSport109 for 8 days now, 249x65. Gonna spend a couple sessions with g/f's 111Futura for reference, but it's no wind the next couple days.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's 89 Crossover board looks really cool as a light wind back and forth board, or a slightly heavier wind course board. Which is exactly what I would use it for; get up on a plane in marginal winds; maybe do some upwind/downwind stuff in more wind.

I guess the only question is: am I good enough for a board like that?
wlundquist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Mike is making any windsurfing boards anymore. If anyone has a different opinion on this please give me the details. Thanks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His website indicates that he does, but if you doubt that, you might give him a ring and ask.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does and I'm on the wait list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: