myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SAN PABLO BAY ACCESS IS HAPPENING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: SAN PABLO BAY ACCESS IS HAPPENING Reply with quote

Glad to report fantastic sailing in San Pablo Bay recently. In the past, when the conditions were right (as in fogged-in the Bay), the biggest drawback to sailing the huge glassy swell in the vastness of San Pablo Bay were sketchy parking and access. That is seemingly gone for now.

Went there with some dedicated TI sailors about two weeks ago, and Eureka! While Joseph's Fishing Resort has burned to ground and the access road to the Lone Tree park is locked, the new owners of the marina adjacent to the north were welcoming and are trying to encourage visitors. They have a wine tasting room (Four Fools Winery) open on weekends with a deck overlooking the sailing area. Ok to use their bathrooms, too. The owner would like you to check in, but other than that no obligation. If the wine tasting room and that parking lot is closed, the owner (Marc) is for now ok with windsurfers (and I suppose kiters, too) entering the marina and driving to the far west of the marina yard where you can park, rig and enter the bay on a boat ramp. No carrying of gear necessary. The gate to the marina locks at 5:30 p.m., but opens automatically to allow you to leave after your session.

We used the Davis Pt. information for tides to sail on the ebb, and sailed pretty far out near the channel marker that has the iwindsurf meter.

Ross
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be checking it out soon.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Ross. Thanks for working on this. I will be one of the biggest benefactors. Hope to go there in the next few days.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ebb is later in the afternoon for a while.

I'm really curious about sailing here...I remember checking the lone tree point many years ago but never tried it. No one was there and the area seemed pretty marginal. I'd like to sail there with other humans though. Seems kind of vast out there. I'd also like to see the launch and near shore at minus tide. I'll try to drag some of my thrill seeking Pt Isabel pals there.

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SAN PABLO BAY ACCESS IS HAPPENING Reply with quote

radross wrote:
Glad to report fantastic sailing in San Pablo Bay recently. I .... While Joseph's Fishing Resort has burned to ground and the access road to the Lone Tree park is locked, the new owners of the marina adjacent to the north were welcoming and are trying to encourage visitors.

Would be fun to check it out before the season comes to a halt ... Below are a couple of google map shots. Is the ramp the one shown in the the first?

b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.72 KB
 Viewed:  22217 Time(s)

b.jpg

a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.02 KB
 Viewed:  22221 Time(s)

a.jpg

rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, that was definitely one of the sketchiest places I've ever sailed and I got skunked so many times, I stopped sailing there but it can be gorge like swell out there if you hit it right. My recollection is that San Pablo Bay buoy needs to be pushing 30 to make it worth it.

FYI-The kiting community has been working with the City of Pittsburg to get access there as well. Another alternate to driving all the way out to the Delta.
radross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the top photo shows the ramp.

My few experiences in San Pablo Bay at this location have been that it is windier on the outside than either right at or close to the launch, and it has worked when the SF Bay is fogged in all the way to Pt. Isabel. YMMV. Not about to try it on a flood, and I'm carrying a radio.

Ross
victor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike godsey did a detailed write-up about the place a few years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/mb59bwg

i've been there a few times hunting for wind this time of year. it would be interesting to see what it's like when other, more well known launches are happening.

yes. not a good place on a flood. i heard of someone getting sucked up through carquinez straights in a minute.
Cozmozolo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job, Ross! Thanks for getting this worked out!
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
FYI-The kiting community has been working with the City of Pittsburg to get access there as well. Another alternate to driving all the way out to the Delta.

Interesting! I'm sure people have tried sailing Port Chicago and Pittsburg before. Would be really great to find a good Northwest wind spot around here too. What is the collective intelligence about this section of the river?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: