myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roof rack problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned about lifting forces than weight bearing capacity. I could stand on a rack that isn't even bolted down, but it's going to fall off at 10 mph.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little research on this when I was looking for a rack for my pickup camper shell. What about these?

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/load-accessories/thule-artificial-raingutters-542-_-1036

Seems like you could have these adapters installed by a bodyshop, then just mount your rack to them. That way it would be easy on/off and would not be actually attached to the vehicle. So no scratching etc... Just a thought.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like vans?
Get a station wagon, like the Grizwolds did, complete with factory racks!

truckster-side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.51 KB
 Viewed:  6674 Time(s)

truckster-side.jpg

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have problems like that with my Thule racks before. On one car, I had to be very careful while tightening the rack to avoid scratching the paint because the gap between the car and the foot was small before tightening. You could use clear tape to protect the spots that might get scratched.

My current Toyota Siena was not available with a factory rack, so I had one installed aftermarket. It has held for more than 10 years now, without any problem. I use it with Thule Crossroads.

Also, since the attachments are car specific, you will need to research each of them. I like Thule because I know I'll always be able to reuse what I have from them, apart from the foot if too specific.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first of all, the poem had me laughing out loud. Potentially the best iwindsurf response yet.

More to the point, while I have almost always had factory roof racks and rails without issue, my favorite solution when I didn't have these were foam blocks with lashing straps. When I used them I didn't have too far to drive and my car was a beater, so I didn't care at all if the straps pinched the weatherstriping, but those blocks were so easy. Others my have more longer-term experience to counter my brief favorable experience. I see they are still sold for kayaks, http://www.maloneautoracks.com/deluxe-kayak-kit.php

(Eh, I now see you also want to carry bikes, so the foam blocks won't work for that. Back to racks)
amarie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. NW30, I'm pretty much driving the 2006 version of that setup, haha, and it's falling apart on me fast. Darbonne, I'm checking out that link. Thanks also for the various feedback on factory racks...good point that they can really suck, so I'll research these specific vehicles and model years. I am also looking at some vehicle specific forums. But I wanted to start here.
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota FJ:

FJ's use the 4.0 V6 with timing chain so maintenance is very easy. Durability is very high, and plenty of good used ones available. When shod with LTM M/S2's, gas mileage is not bad.

Toyota Land Cruiser:

Land Cruisers are designed for first responders so they are tough as nails. New ones are off the charts expensive but used ones not so bad. Reliable and durable. See also the Lexus versions.

And there's the Lexus RX 350. Great Car, fantastic ride, V6 with timing chains since 2007. Roof racks have 165 lbs. Capacity. Warning, drive a Lexus and you'll be spoiled for life. Designed to last as long as you feel like driving it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: