myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Out of control at Rowena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: IMHO Reply with quote

Apathy does not help anybody.
If there is something that needs to be said, say it.
Who cares if you are not "perfect" in expressing? At least you did something instead of being a wimp doing nothing.
You could be helping them, yourself, or somebody else.
If there is something stupid/dangerous going on, say something.
At least it could be thought-provoking.
Saying nothing helps nobody.

*Actual verbal THREATS are different. That is called ASSAULT and is against the law.

A short personal story:
I was sailing at the Wall recently, a "B-" session with some schlogging and small swell. At one point, I was schlogging badly (and with very little wind in my sail) in the swell zone. A big hotshot windsurfer (from somewhere out of town, possibly Vancouver, BC) snuck up from behind me without warning (from upwind), took my air, and surfed WELL within a mast length of me. That was not only rude, it was DUMB and DANGEROUS; I am an excellent sailor, but even I could still have EASILY by accident dropped my unbreakable carbon hammer (i.e. 14' NoLimitz mast) right on him HARD as he stole my air. That was DUMB and I told him so within about 15 minutes of tracking him down. I did not stew in anger or threaten on the beach. End of story, necessary deed done and session continues. I could have saved his, mine, or somebody else's skull by speaking up.

*If my buddies want to play tricks on me like this and I AGREE to it, it's all fun and games and I'm prepared for it. But this circumstance I did not agree to ahead of time. Getting within a mast length is just DUMB overall.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly amazed how many people pass within 4 or 5 feet downwind of me, head-on, when I'm slogging or waterstarting and can't just swerve away but CAN ... accidentally, of course ... drop my mast.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sillysails wrote:
He then ... made a quick move to punch me out. I back away out of his reach, but he settled for launching himself at me and throwing me to the shelled ground cover, leaving my back looking like fresh ground meat.

EASY solution. Assault and battery will get him some jail time, and all it takes is a call to the cops and your signature on a complaint, sealed by your back scratches and/or a witness. Then, of course, after he's been led away in handcuffs, you dismantle his van and scatter its parts to the four winds, beginning with the keys into the water or the nearest porta potty.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: IMHO Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

*Actual verbal THREATS are different. That is called ASSAULT and is against the law.

Just to clarify (slightly getting off topic now) for those who think everything they read on the internet is true. This statement is NOT accurate. An assault is not just a verbal threat. There has to be the means to actually carry out the threat.

Example. Me yelling across the street that I'm going to beat you silly is not the same as me yelling 5 inches from you that I'm going to beat you silly Smile If this really interests you, please do some research. Most states have their legal codes online.....

In California, there has to be an "act". In Oregon it seems there has to be something similar. However you can go with...

Menacing
(1)
A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.
(2)
Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §95]

I'm too lazy to look up Washington code....
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youwindsurf. Now you are just stating the obvious and taking up valuable space for unrealistic situations and solutions. (insert a face if you want)
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting read. We had a similar situation in SoCal at Leo Carrillo beach a few years back between two windsurfers and a near collision on a wave. Raised voices, insults hurled, lawsuits threatened, sides chosen, a thread on iWindsurf a mile long. And we thought this kind of thing only happened in SoCal. All but forgotten now. Hopefully this will blow over too.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(For the record, I don't "live" to be a contrarian. Nor do I have any grudges against anybody.)

Considering how easy it is to carry out any threat via means (fist, large stick, gun, etc.), I am pretty comfortable arguing that making a verbal theat can be construed almost anywhere to be assault (but not battery; for battery, there must be actual contact). I believe the police routinely successfully charge even the middle finger to be threat of assault. Be careful no cops (who are in a bad mood) are around when flipping the bird!
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
(For the record, I don't "live" to be a contrarian. Nor do I have any grudges against anybody.)

Considering how easy it is to carry out any threat via means (fist, large stick, gun, etc.), I am pretty comfortable arguing that making a verbal theat can be construed almost anywhere to be assault (but not battery; for battery, there must be actual contact). I believe the police routinely successfully charge even the middle finger to be threat of assault. Be careful no cops (who are in a bad mood) are around when flipping the bird!

Assault: Definition
The definitions for assault vary from state-to-state, but assault is often defined as an attempt to injure to someone else, and in some circumstances can include threats or threatening behavior against others. One common definition would be an intentional attempt, using violence or force, to injure or harm another person. Another straightforward way that assault is sometimes defined is as an attempted battery. Indeed, generally the main distinction between an assault and a battery is that no contact is necessary for an assault, whereas an offensive or illegal contact must occur for a battery.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/assault-and-battery-overview.html

Assault: Act Requirement
Even though contact is not generally necessary for an assault offense, a conviction for assault still requires a criminal "act". The types of acts that fall into the category of assaults can vary widely, but typically an assault requires an overt or direct act that would put the reasonable person in fear for their safety. Spoken words alone will not be enough of an act to constitute an assault unless the offender backs them up with an act or actions that put the victim in reasonable fear of imminent harm.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/utah-city-settles-case-with-man-who-flipped-off-officer

Utah city settles case with man who flipped off officer
ASSOCIATED PRESS
WIRE REPORT
Sunday, November 18, 2012
OREM, Utah — A man who was pulled over and cited after flipping off a Utah police officer in 2010 has agreed to drop his complaint after the city of Orem agreed to pay him $2,500 in damages and promised not to ticket anyone else for the obscene gesture.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah had threatened a lawsuit on behalf of Seth Dame, saying an officer violated Dame’s constitutional right to express himself after Dame flipped him off on June 25, 2010.
“Allowing police to detain and charge people for impolite behavior would grant police wide discretionary power to harass people they do not like,” said John Mejia, legal director of the ACLU of Utah, in a statement Nov. 15. “Any police overstep of power to crack down on expression, even rude expression, is therefore worth serious attention.”
The city refused to prosecute the case, but the ACLU claimed the incident violated Dame’s First Amendment free-speech rights and his Fourth Amendment protection against unlawful search and seizure.
In the settlement, Orem agrees the officer shouldn’t have stopped Dame solely for giving the finger and says officers won’t do so in the future. The police department also agreed to continue training its officers about First Amendment protection.
“We do view this as a one-time, isolated incident, and don’t anticipate it happening it again,” Orem City Attorney Greg Stephens said.
The settlement provides $2,500 in attorneys fees to the ACLU and $2,500 in damages to Dame.
Officials with the Orem city attorney’s office didn’t return a request for comment in time for this story.
The ACLU notes that similar cases have been settled in Pennsylvania and Kansas.
“Various courts have concluded that using your middle finger to express discontent or frustration is expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment,” Mejia said. “We are very pleased that Orem has responded to our efforts to ensure that everyone’s free speech rights are protected.”
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a big change. So "Yey!" for the First Ammendment and the ACLU! My heros!

I still think it's a bad idea to flip anyone off. Cops and others may not take kindly to it. And this one victory for the ACLU is no guarrantee you will not be arrested for it or get into a fight. "Suspect became belligerent and therefore was subdued...". Etc.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confusing Disorderly conduct with Assault.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2012/08/do-you-have-the-right-to-flip-off-cops.html

The police have been known to arrest people who flip them off for disorderly conduct.

Disorderly conduct laws prevent people from doing things that disturb the peace, but which don't amount to a serious public danger. Public intoxication is an example of the types of acts citable. But these laws are usually broadly written enough to include almost any actions that "disturb the peace." This includes flipping off a cop.

Pretty much every state has a disorderly conduct law in their books. Even so, the question of whether you can be arrested by cops under this law for asking them to read between the lines is a little murky.

Take the 26-year-old man who was arrested last summer for giving the middle finger to police outside a Greenwich Village bar. He recently filed a lawsuit against the city, arguing his First Amendment were violated, the New York Post reports.
Robert Bell, a New York financial services recruiter who lives in Edison, N.J., was leaving the Slaughtered Lamb Pub on West 4th Street about 10 p.m. Aug. 6, 2011, when three officers walked past him, legal documents showed. With the officers' backs to him, Bell raised his middle finger for "one to two seconds," the complaint states.

After his arrest and detainment, Bell decided to file the suit -- which charges police with violating the Constitution, assault, false arrest and imprisonment, and inflicting emotional distress -- because he thought he had been wronged, his attorney Robert Quackenbush said.

Both the Supreme Court and lower courts have ruled that giving cops the finger is a form of protected speech under the First Amendment. Along the same vein, swearing and any other profane speech directed at law enforcement is also protected.

So if flashing the middle finger is protected by the Constitution, why are people getting arrested?

The reason is because disorderly conduct laws generally give cops broad discretion to decide what is and is not disorderly. This means officers can still ruin your day by giving you a ticket and forcing you to go to court to contest it.

Bottom line, you do have a constitutional right to flip off cops. But anyone with good sense probably shouldn't exercise it.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/news/2013/01/04/court-flipping-off-cops-is-constitutional.aspx

A civilian flipping off a police officer can't be cause for a vehicle stop or arrest, a federal appellate court has ruled.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that the "ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."

The ruling conforms to existing legal precedent, said Devallis Rutledge, POLICE's legal expert.

"You can contact the person," Rutledge said. "You cannot detain the person. It doesn't provide grounds for arrest. It's just not criminal."

In the most recent case, John Swartz and his wife Judy Mayton-Swartz had sued two St. Johnsville (N.Y.) Police officers who arrested Swartz in May 2006 after he flipped off an officer who was using a radar device at an intersection. Swartz was later charged with a violation of New York's disorderly conduct statute, but the charges were dismissed, reports the Huffington Post.

Richard Insogna, the officer who stopped Swartz and his wife when they arrived at their destination, claimed he pulled the couple over because he believed Swartz was "trying to get my attention for some reason."

Prior courts have ruled that contempt of cop is protected First Amendment speech. The U.S. Supreme Court in City of Houston v. Hill (1987) ruled that the First Amendment "protects a significant amount of verbal criticism and challenge directed at police officers."

The 9th Circuit court confirmed this ruling in 1990's Duran v. the City of Douglas, Arizona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: