myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area Beginner Seeking Progression Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thought DAVIDBO, I think there should be a sticky thread on iwindsurf for guys like us who have old boards and gear that is worth very little. I'd be willing to lend some of my gear to out of towner's.

Kind of like the websites that offer to trade your home in Los Angeles for a home in Italy for the summer.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Wolfprime:

If you live on the peninsula. I would try your new skills at coyote by renting similar gear to what you are using now at foster city. Boardsports will be able to hook you up. They can also give you lessons if you want to speed up the process.

Also next summer go here

http://abkboardsports.com/
wolfprime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank folks for the advice in the thread. I joined Cal Sailing and have been Windsurfing there. I just got my Junior rating and now I'm trying to learn to use the harness. Cal Sailing can't be beat for the price, but getting advice and instruction is very hit or miss since it's all volunteer run. I think I might try a lesson at boardsports to tune what I've learned and get help with the harness.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta know how to waterstart in very choppy water, it's huge, probably the most important thing. As long as you can do that, you can be a very poor sailor but still get back to shore.

I'll never forget the day I was windsurfing at Candlestick, the wind picked up to the mid 20's kt. range and I saw some poor guy unsuccessfully trying to uphaul pretty far outside. As I was watching, he was getting smaller and smaller as the wind was blowing him farther out into the middle of the bay, close to a couple of miles from shore.
It was getting dark but there were plenty of people watching him so I left, don't know what ever happened to him, but I'll bet he learned a very valuable lesson.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few choppier sailing areas than Berkeley at higher tides.
Even nasty ebb at Crissy is not all that much tougher, because at Berkeley, it's the end of the fetch and backwash/rebound contributes to the wishwash effect.
If you can make your jibes outside at Berkeley, you can jibe ANY where in the world.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Gotta know how to waterstart in very choppy water, it's huge, probably the most important thing. As long as you can do that, you can be a very poor sailor but still get back to shore.

I'll never forget the day I was windsurfing at Candlestick, the wind picked up to the mid 20's kt. range and I saw some poor guy unsuccessfully trying to uphaul pretty far outside. ...

I have seen this happen in a surprising way at Alameda, where repeated uphaul failures paradoxically were sending a novice sailor upwind and progressively farther out into the bay. Someone was sent out to retrieve him.

There is a good argument also for learning to uphaul in chop. If you are in a situation that has evolved to give you a lot of chop or swell, but not enough wind to waterstart (not uncommon at Alameda, especially if you are earlier on the learning curve), uphaul in chop is an important get-home skill.
bonuslife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfprime wrote:
Just wanted to thank folks for the advice in the thread. I joined Cal Sailing and have been Windsurfing there. I just got my Junior rating and now I'm trying to learn to use the harness. Cal Sailing can't be beat for the price, but getting advice and instruction is very hit or miss since it's all volunteer run. I think I might try a lesson at boardsports to tune what I've learned and get help with the harness.

Congratulations! Great to hear that you joined and that you're progressing so fast. I know what you mean about instruction, etc., but hopefully you'll get more hits than misses. Great idea to take a formal lessons as well. Rebecca and Jane at Boardsports School are really nice people and they know what they're doing.

Another thing that can help immensely with learning (at any level) is having someone take video of you windsurfing. It can be humbling, but being able to see what you're really doing as opposed to what you think you're doing will give you a chance to correct mistakes the next time you go out.

Also, it's great to be motivated, but remember to take some time each session to just enjoy it. It takes time, and lots of it, to learn this sport. Sometimes you need to just relax and take in the scenery and cruise.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfprime wrote:
I think I might try a lesson at boardsports to tune what I've learned and get help with the harness.

Good idea, and here's a big tip towards getting used to a harness in one day:
Get planing, hook in, stabilize, and unhook.
Capische?
A few hundred of those and it will be second nature.
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Good idea to develop all you low wind skills first. Reply with quote

Good idea to develop all your low wind skills first.
Unless you like getting a beating learning to do things
correctly in low wind is an easier path.
You should be able to
tack , pivot jibe, uphaul and stay upwind on a larger board
before you start to go to small.
There is much more you can do in low
winds that will help your high wind skill to.
You can do this kind of practice in the off season at places like
Shoreline or Alemeda on big stuff.
Some lessons and some videos can help.
The one source that is fairly complete is the Trictionary videos .
Lessons from ABK , Delta Windsurf , Jason Voss or Boardsports can
help your progress.
This is a technical sport the choices for equipment require some studying.
You have to match masts and sails and there are different types , rigging them
is an art.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me almost 8 years to learn to jibe a shortboard consistently. It's all about conditions. Lucky for you, you die and went to windsurf heaven. Past few seasons aside, this is the windsurfing place to work and sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: