myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mayo Beach or Sandy Point Sunday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Mayo Beach or Sandy Point Sunday? Reply with quote

Might be just enough for a session early Sunday morning. Anyone else thinking of heading out to Mayo or Sandy Point?

Last edited by justall on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
justall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, very quiet DC/MD/VA windsurfing community. The Chesapeake was pretty good today, but it was just me and a cruise ship on the water this morning from 7-9am.

Anyone here planning to attend the BABA event coming up later in the month ... "BABA East Coast Championships and Meet at the Beach, Mayo Beach Park, Mayo, MD" on September 20th and 21st?
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Justall, where did you end up going, I thought about going to Sandy Point since I havenŽt paid for Mayo. How was the wind? Forecast was for just 11 knots so I decided not to go.
justall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Sandy Point between 7 and 9am. I would say it was blowing between 16 and 22 mph, albeit with some short-duration lulls from time to time. I used my 6.2m sail and generally felt nicely powered. The wind was steady enough for me to feel it was OK to go all the way across the bay. I was grateful for the puffs into the 20s as I needed those to keep upwind (the Northerly wind and the current from the tide going out pressured everything to the south). There was typical chop and swell (some of the swells were large enough to break near the center of the bay.) I was able to get my board out of the water, as ramps were plentiful.

Before going out, the park rangers warned me that the water was rough and a small craft advisory was in effect ... I smiled and said, "Well, that's why I'm here," (but thanked them for the advisory).

I think the September 20th/21th Mayo meet at the beach is actually open to all (even non permit holders, but I'll check with them and post back)

Last edited by justall on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
lturkevich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Maybe next time Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested in Mayo at some point, wish I could make the the BABA Meet on Sept. 20/21, maybe next time.
dlathouras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mayo is open on September 20 & 21 during BABA East Coast Championships Regatta. Hope to see you there! NOR will be posted soon.

You can also chat with "local" windsurfers on our yahoo group (More_Downhall) or on the BABA Facebook group (send a request to join).

www.windsurfbaba.org for links
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there might be some reasonable northerlies again tomorrow (Sunday 9/14). I might try for another 7am Sandy Point launch. Air may be cool, but water looks decent.
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Justall IŽll be there as well. IŽm quite new at this so I donŽt think IŽll be crossing the bay though!
justall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sailing with you today, ernestomv. Too bad the wind wasn't quite strong enough. Some of the early morning kiters got shut down early, too. There should be other opportunities this Fall. I'll keep posting here. Maybe we'll get a group to shoot across the bay. Here's hoping next weekend is windy.
JessVirtual33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us in DC area sail Rehoboth Beach, DE. (Sail Rd.). It gets crowded when forecast is >15mph. HOT shower across the road courtesy of DE State Park Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: