myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large light-air wave board and sail quiver questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Large light-air wave board and sail quiver questions Reply with quote

Hey guys - I had posted last month about getting a larger board to push my 5.0, but I have decided (as most recommended) to get both a larger board and sail, mainly for fall sailing. So two questions:

1. For a board, I would like something large that is pretty wavy so I can use it for both SF bay sailing in marginal fall winds and also in light-air coastal waves. So, I still want something that will plane decently, but absolute early planing is no longer the top priority since I will have a larger sail (6.0+) as well. Right now, I am looking at the Angulo Chango 109. I'm pretty certain this board will be great in light waves, my question is: will this board be ok with a 6.2 or so in the SF Bay in floods? I know how a freeride-style board of this size would sail with a 6.0, just wondering if the wave rocker will significantly alter how it will perform for flat-water planing (obviously it will a little...but drastically?)

2. For a sail, I am thinking something like a 6.2 or 6.3. This would be a direct jump from my 5.0 and 85 liter board -- I think this gap is fine, any thoughts on that? I now have tight spacing under 5.0 (4.5, 4.2, 3.7), but I feel like you can go much wider on the larger stuff. It would be used both in the bay (mostly) and the waves on the coast (not as frequent).

I weigh 160 if that factors in at all to any suggestions.

Last edited by mthompson156 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:01 am; edited 3 times in total
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet X-Cross 115?

Or X-Wave 111?
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 160, and I sail exclusively in the waves (when they're waves, which is most of the time but not always), I'm riding a Starboard Evo 92 Lt. that was given to me, with a 5.7 Ezzy Elite when it's really light. It keeps me going just fine when there is hardly any whitecaps, but I do need whitecaps to be able to sail, anything lighter than that, then it's best to go onto a SUP board with a sail attached, IMO.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried power wave sails? What kind of wind speed and wave size are we talking about here?

I sail a 105 / 63cm single fin when it's light out (15-18 knots max). I take out a 5.4 alpha, it works. Maybe 5.7 would be better when really light but not more. Anything bigger and it's that much more sail to pull out of the water. Also a lighter sail will weigh as much on the board and free it up more.

Finally if the waves are big, more volume and width can require some serious commitment. A multi fin can help with getting away with more volume while maintaining good control. Goya Quad?
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail around Waddell quite a bit. I'm 195 and sail a custom quatro 103 and my 5.4 ezzy taka on the lightest of days. I think I could go even smaller than
103. Your more than welcome to give my gear a try. I'm not looking to sell anything but maybe it'll help you figure out what you want. Let me know.
-Ruben
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

west coast suggestions always amaze me. definition of light wind differ greatly.

my thoughts were exocet cross 114 and aerotech 6.8 phantom. that was guessing that ca has more wind and lots of favorable point breaks and other side shore to side off venues.

here in florida my light wind kit is a planing long board and a 7.5 phantom.

i don't sup at all. i do prone surfing though. very rarely.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angulo Chango 101 or 109 would be a *very* good choice. It will eat chop and whitewater. I'd get a 6.0 - 6.3 and then later if you feel like the gap between that and your 5.0 is too much you could get a 5.5 or something.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: CHANGO 109 Reply with quote

Very Happy I,M 200 LBS. RIDE THE CHANGO 109 JUST GOT A 6.1 EZZY ELITE FOR MY BIG SAIL.USE 5.6 AND 4.9 ON IT.PLANES QUICK TURNS GREAT Exclamation SAIL IT ON THE GREAT LAKES/ERIE B@J AND WAVES.THE 109 IS PLENTY OF FLOAT FOR ME THE 101 WILL BE PLENTY FOR YOU SINCE YOUR LIGHT.THE CHANGOS ARE PERFECTLY BALANCED FOR SLOGGING Exclamation GREAT BOARDS Exclamation
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you're missing the boat.
A floaty board that turns well on the waves is useless for upwind sailing on flood days at Crissy.
Only hard rails, flat rocker, and big blady fins get you upwind on the flood days and light winds of fall conditions at Crissy.
Of course, this same board works just OK in small waves and light winds.
At your size, and mine (70 kg's.) you need ONE wave board only for almost all coastal wave sailing, and that would be around 75 liters.
Wads, Davs, Scotts, Palo, just don't blow consistent if the winds are belowe 20, and can shut off or change directions at any time in such light breezes.
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I suspect you're missing the boat.
A floaty board that turns well on the waves is useless for upwind sailing on flood days at Crissy.
Only hard rails, flat rocker, and big blady fins get you upwind on the flood days and light winds of fall conditions at Crissy.
Of course, this same board works just OK in small waves and light winds.
At your size, and mine (70 kg's.) you need ONE wave board only for almost all coastal wave sailing, and that would be around 75 liters.
Wads, Davs, Scotts, Palo, just don't blow consistent if the winds are belowe 20, and can shut off or change directions at any time in such light breezes.

Thanks for the reply, but I disagree with some of that. My 85 is a pure wave board, and it sails fine in floods at Crissy (when fully powered of course) and I can get upwind. So I just want something to handle the next sail size up (6.0 ish). Certainly it won't do everything a flat bottom slalom board will, but was mainly curious if I can expect similar relative results with 109 wave/6.0 as I get with 85 wave/5.0 in flat water.

As far as the waves, I want to have this for other areas as well, such as further south, where there are consistent winds that are lighter than the Santa Cruz county spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: