myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tiga 257VR
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Tiga 257VR Reply with quote

Has anyone out there ever owned, sailed, and loved the ride of the old Tiga 257VR? If so, are there any more modern boards out there with a similar ride?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never worked at a Tiga dealership.
Is that the green padded, all white polyethelene fast wave board you're talking about, the one with the concaves on the nose deck?
Or are you talking about the blue padded, white one with the yellow writing that I have under the house? Too hard to access, contractor has it all blocked off.
Like, 20 lbs with straps and Conic box fin, kinda wide at around 57, classic outline?
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought one, but instead I got a 263 bump and jump. This was when they were new on the market. As I recall, the 257 was wider and maybe a little less volume. For the size, they are a little heavy (poly boards), but they ride like silk in the chop.

I still have the 263 (indestructible), but only use it with a 4.0 or 4.5 in steady winds. I don't find the track to be too far forward. The fin is a Tiga box, which means you likely can't find another fin. The one I have works fine without much spin out. The 257 will likely plane up a little quicker than the 263. I weight 168.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like that board wasn't as popular as I thought it was. Both of mine had green foam on the deck. But there may have been different colors over the years.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green padding over a white board with nose concaves, and you can see the lines where the concaves start, was the faster more pintail model.
Mine is the blue/yellow padded 257, with more tail rocker and a slightly wider tail.
Good beginner high wind board, sails 4.2 to 5.5.
They tend to delaminate over time, the usual spots between the footstraps.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was plastic.. no delam.
i had the vr250, it had the green deckpad too, from '92/'93 and yes..id buy another or something similar.. so smooth and controllable in high wind and chop. i used that board in hatteras, oahu, maui, the gorge, magdelines, great lakes, ,,it just took a pounding, near indestructible..and the smoothest jiber ever. i shouldve kept it.

konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine have the thru-hull tiga fin box. I'm on my last one. I don't know what I'm going to do when it breaks. But I'm still looking for ideas for a replacement so that I can try them if I ever get a chance.
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one about 20 years ago. If you are the kind of person that likes running with a pair of work boots, go for it.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working at a Mistral/F2 dealership, I saw at least 15 plastic Tiga's that delamed badly, the plasticy skin completely separating from the polyU core.
Worse than customs left in the sun.
Least durable brick ever, and a workshoe for running is a great analogy.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Has anyone out there ever owned, sailed, and loved the ride of the old Tiga 257VR? If so, are there any more modern boards out there with a similar ride?

I suppose one could demo boards 'til the cows come home, find something modern that rides smoothly (several have been mentioned in this forum), and spend $2,000 on it. But there's no reason to reinvent the wheel; why not just buy another 257VR? Saw one last week that looked great for $10. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again at the next Hood River swap meet.

I was offered my choice between a Tiga 257 or its HiFly competitor 260 (or 255; I forget). I tested them head to head and chose the latter for its superior ride, speed, and turning, so that may expand your options. They were both sweet rides in heavy chop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: