myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tiga 257VR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars said " why reinvent the wheel?" Great point!

Many of us live where a board like this will rarely get used. Why spend tons of dough on new when there will be little if any performance advantage?
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
isobars said " why reinvent the wheel?" Great point!

Many of us live where a board like this will rarely get used. Why spend tons of dough on new when there will be little if any performance advantage?

Come on guys.

I understand that some don't want to spend money on new gear that would be rarely use, but saying that newer boards bring very little more than a plastic Tiga?

Let's not push it to far Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
saying that newer boards bring very little more than a plastic Tiga?

Let's not push it to far Wink

The criterion was singular: ride smoothness. Those plastic boards were and are tough to beat in that respect. Because of its smooth ride, my plastic HiFly easily outran a bud's Hypertech in bad chop. And it turned better anywhere.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with Guy T, and Zirtaeb.

Every poly board I ever owned badly delaminated when the flexible plastic skin seperated from the interior foam, over the footstrap area, AND, changed shape and rocker line as the foam crushed and compacted beneath the flexi non structural poly skin.

In short, if used heavily, they didn't last long without structural problems which obviously affected their performance. The worst ones I owned were a couple of Surf Partner poly boards (Swedish) the short one of which warped and compacted so badly at the rear, that it ended up with negative rocker!

Composite boards with rigid outer shells saw them off, and thankfully so!
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiga 257VR Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Has anyone out there ever owned, sailed, and loved the ride of the old Tiga 257VR? If so, are there any more modern boards out there with a similar ride?

This is the original post. Things are getting a little off track. Are y'all saying that the ride of that board is mostly due to it's construction, and not it's shape? I'm looking for a board that rides the same because I can see that my board won't make it much longer.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very smooth modern boards I've ridden in lots of chop include the Fanatic FSW, Real Winds, Thommen's MWX83, Mistral's Syncro line, and some others. Everyone says Exocets ride very smoothly. Vee, rocker, and thick pads/bumpers all contribute to smooth rides. If one's only criterion is a great ride, there are many options, and extra pads add many more to the list. Don't forget that ride quality in chop is impaired by increased width, the most blatant feature that defines "modern" boards. Almost any wave board from the mid-90s through ~2006 is smoother riding than the newer, wider "stubbies", arguably pioneered by the Starboard EVO, a classic example of modern boards that beat the crap out of you in chop.

The real question is what else you want out of a board. Those extra criteria may expand or contract your short list. You haven't even mentioned cost, which can vary from free to $2,500, or any performance factors besides ride quality. You can fly to the Gorge, buy an extremely smooth-riding board or three, and fly them home cheaper than you can buy a new, often bouncier, board. A free trip to the Gorge, compared to buying a new board at home! Cheaper yet, buy almost any user-friendly board and add extra pads under your heels.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiga 257VR Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
konajoe wrote:
Has anyone out there ever owned, sailed, and loved the ride of the old Tiga 257VR? If so, are there any more modern boards out there with a similar ride?

This is the original post. Things are getting a little off track. Are y'all saying that the ride of that board is mostly due to it's construction, and not it's shape? I'm looking for a board that rides the same because I can see that my board won't make it much longer.

what!! its only lasted 20++ yrs.. that doesnt seem very durable at all.. lol

i coulda used my old plastic fantastic today.. super choppy.. feet were starting to hurt, even with my work boots on. Wink

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my plastic Tiga 257 or 8 or 6 wave is smooth riding.
It's also got no feel, rides like 1984, doggy to accelerate and respond, and draggy to jibe and jump.
My Tiga251, epoxy/styro construction, is quicker, faster more repsonsive, more fun, more demanding, and rewards hugely with good input compared to the flexy flyer slug board.
GuyT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiga 257VR Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
konajoe wrote:

I am sorry, konajoe, I didn't get the meaning of your post at first (read it too fast), so here a better answer.

The most confortable newer boards available are Tabou's 3S. How says? Me of course Wink , but also French Magazines Planchemag and Wind, year after year in their test issues.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tiga 257VR Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
The most confortable newer boards available are Tabou's 3S.

I'm having a hard time describing what I like about that 257VR. It's more than comfort. It seems to plane early. It really sticks to the water through jibes. Jumps nice.

I've been on boards that were more responsive. Or should I say twitchy. That Tiga seems to track better than any other board when bouncing through irregular chop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: