myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Optimal wind direction for sailing easterlies at Stevenson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Optimal wind direction for sailing easterlies at Stevenson? Reply with quote

What direction should the sensor read or forecasts expect when the wind is filled in to the Stevenson shores (Bob's, Boat Launch, etc.)? Knowing that would help motivate me to drive 180 miles each way for a one or two day blast like this one. This blow was forecast to be North of East ... great for Blackberry Beach but a PITA for the WA shoreline.

My Best Days Ever at Stevenson were a few years ago when big (for easterlies), gorgeous, endless, smooth swell stacked up against the WA shore all day and some people were comfortable in board shorts. That was WELL worth getting up at 2 AM for, unlike the usual ENE and its notorious WA wind shadow and mediocre swell.

Does E do it, or does it need to be South of East? I took notes back then, but they're in whatever book I was reading at the time.

Mike \m/
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE the wind is onshore at Bob's and East Point. Gusty and swirly on the Ore. shore, Big shore break on the Wa. shore, expecially at the East boat launch. Yesterday the shore break at the Boat launch was three feet and breaking.

ESE The wind is side onshore at Bob's, small shore break, and filled in to the beach. Boat launch is still pretty much onshore, but the break is smaller as the wind is about 45 degrees to the beach. Not so gusty on the Ore shore.

East wind a hole starts to form at both Bob's and the boat launch, more so at Bob's, a bit of a swim/float to the wind line at Bob's, wait for a gust at the Boat launch. Can be stronger on the Ore side.

With any North in the wind, the 'sensor is shaded from the wind by the Wa shore so it reads incorrectly, the gusts are a better read than the average. Usually a patch of glass at Bob's and a bit of a slog for 50 yards or so at the boat launch. Usually stronger on the Ore side, sometimes a meter stronger. Blackberry beach is a better call for anything with North attached, although the amenities there are nonexistant.

ESE this morning, my 3.4 was totally powered up, big swell, big shore break and steady out of Bob's for quite some time. I got hammered by the shore break at the Boat launch yesterday, a bit lighter, 3.8 for me.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied and saved for future reference.
Now if someone would just forecast the directions more accurately. One source kept explaining why this blast would be distinctly North of East, so I passed.

Thanks.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimal wind direction for sailing easterlies at Stevenson? Reply with quote

Well, the sensor said it was dead East from 11AM until late, but I can tell
you that in honked pretty hard from 11 until 2 (solid 4.2 conditions for me).
I hung onto a pretty floppy flat Northwave until about 2 then bagged it out
for another hours worth of 4.2. I tend to launch out of the Boat Ramp,
because the sternwheeler doc seems to shred up the East wind, even on
20-40 (averaging low 30s) like today between 11 and 12. And, the wind was
much steadier, than sensor reported 20-40, on the water. If it is majorly NE then Blackberry
is the call, or for desperation light wind (averaging 18 ) I'll head to Blackberry.

NNE tends to cause a pretty big hole at either Bob's or the Boat Ramp.
NE causes a hole at Bob's, but not so much at the boat ramp

-Craig

p.s. the swell was tight, but pretty clean 4 ft mid river when the wind was up.
For my last hour today it was mainly swellettes of the 1-2 foot variety.

isobars wrote:
What direction should the sensor read or forecasts expect when the wind is filled in to the Stevenson shores (Bob's, Boat Launch, etc.)? Knowing that would help motivate me to drive 180 miles each way for a one or two day blast like this one. This blow was forecast to be North of East ... great for Blackberry Beach but a PITA for the WA shoreline.

My Best Days Ever at Stevenson were a few years ago when big (for easterlies), gorgeous, endless, smooth swell stacked up against the WA shore all day and some people were comfortable in board shorts. That was WELL worth getting up at 2 AM for, unlike the usual ENE and its notorious WA wind shadow and mediocre swell.

Does E do it, or does it need to be South of East? I took notes back then, but they're in whatever book I was reading at the time.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: