myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stephenson launches..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Stephenson launches.. Reply with quote

I haven't sailed Stephenson since kites...Long time ago...After hearing about good winds yesterday and having nothing to do today, I went down and launched where I used to, that point behind the big warehouse just west of Blackberry Beach (I assume)
There were a few windsurfers there and one kiter. It looked ok windwise. I rigged a 4.7 and went out, just like I did years ago, getting biffed a bit by some small shore break that was wrapping the rocks there on that point, but no worries...same-o same-o...kinda choppy and no real swell but fun to sail "backwards" and play in a different part of the river...

After hanging on to 4.7, quite overpowered, for an hour or two the wind notched up again and since I'd already done everything I could to my Northwave to de-power I decided it was time to rig down...Quite the wild ride back to that point from the bouy upriver...
So I climb out, wrestling my rig up the bank in what now I was thinking was 3.7 and gusty.... and I find about half a dozen kites (and more waiting for room) in various stages on the "beach" there...I guess the kites now claim this launch...
And I have to say, WOW! they've got some balls launching there like they do...looks pretty wild in that kinda winds...I watched a few, in awe, toss those big kites up in front of a tree with lines everywhere and other kites all around, while the Kiter was doing the rock dance in waist high shore break.. You kite guys have some balls..
I was hard pressed to get my rig apart, what with kiters in rigging frenzy laying strings across my board and sail, one in front one behind...I guess I chose the wrong launch...but no one was there at about 10:30 other than two sailboards....
And easterlies are still fun..
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stephenson launches.. Reply with quote

Yep Easterlies are still fun! Yep that launch belongs to Kiters, and yep they do have some balls, but
my understanding is that that is where the Slingshot guys started launching
and it just grew. Probably been at least 7 or 8 years now. They really
have the 2 man launch down at that location, and with the kite already high
above the Kiter, I think there is some advantage to not having to take off
with the Kite through the high power range (low to the earth).

Launching your windsurf gear from the Boat Ramp is in my opinion much
easier and safer (cause you don't have to worry about all those lines).
I hung onto a 5.2 today, but I was extremely powered right around 11:30.
Yesterday I was well powered on a 4.2 so it was even windier then.

Since today was supposed to be flirting with low 20s at times, I'm figuring
tomorrows upper teens will probably be more like 5.2 (low 20s), and
I'm going back for the trifecta (which my age addled brain tells me
I've never experienced before with Easterlies).

-Craig

dhanson928 wrote:
I haven't sailed Stephenson since kites...Long time ago...After hearing about good winds yesterday and having nothing to do today, I went down and launched where I used to, that point behind the big warehouse just west of Blackberry Beach (I assume)
There were a few windsurfers there and one kiter. It looked ok windwise. I rigged a 4.7 and went out, just like I did years ago, getting biffed a bit by some small shore break that was wrapping the rocks there on that point, but no worries...same-o same-o...kinda choppy and no real swell but fun to sail "backwards" and play in a different part of the river...

After hanging on to 4.7, quite overpowered, for an hour or two the wind notched up again and since I'd already done everything I could to my Northwave to de-power I decided it was time to rig down...Quite the wild ride back to that point from the bouy upriver...
So I climb out, wrestling my rig up the bank in what now I was thinking was 3.7 and gusty.... and I find about half a dozen kites (and more waiting for room) in various stages on the "beach" there...I guess the kites now claim this launch...
And I have to say, WOW! they've got some balls launching there like they do...looks pretty wild in that kinda winds...I watched a few, in awe, toss those big kites up in front of a tree with lines everywhere and other kites all around, while the Kiter was doing the rock dance in waist high shore break.. You kite guys have some balls..
I was hard pressed to get my rig apart, what with kiters in rigging frenzy laying strings across my board and sail, one in front one behind...I guess I chose the wrong launch...but no one was there at about 10:30 other than two sailboards....
And easterlies are still fun..
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That middle launch is called kite point now for good reason.
I still windsurf from there occasionally, especially when the sternwheeler is docked at Stevenson creating a big wind shadow at Bob's.

Your post also points to another interesting change in the Easterlies at Stevenson since the days before kiting. It involves the timing of the winds.
In the old days it seemed the Easterlies were more of a morning affair and you had to be there by 9 or 10 to catch the strongest winds. I used to treat the noon whistle at Stevenson as a signal to get off the water before the wind started to die and left me swimming in. In the past several years, there have been numerous days when the East winds didn't peak until 11 or 12, and they will often blow until 2 or 3 now.
I have yet to find an explanation for the change, but I do enjoy being able to sleep in and waiting for the air to warm up on the cool Fall mornings before heading to the beach.
It seems the kiters don't know the old rules, so most of them don't start showing up until around noon.
And yes, easterlies are still fun.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHH, the good old days.....

KMF
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a better when the wind peaks at 11 isn't it. My typical scramble usually
has me showing up between 10 and 11, but now, that's the right time.
Also of note is the fact that the winds taper off rather nicely these years, so
you have plenty of time to get back in vs. 10 years ago when if the wind
went soft and you made just one more reach, you ended up hitchhiking
back from the Oregon side.

Don't understand any of it, but I'm like'n it!

-Craig

hilton08 wrote:

In the old days it seemed the Easterlies were more of a morning affair and you had to be there by 9 or 10 to catch the strongest winds. I used to treat the noon whistle at Stevenson as a signal to get off the water before the wind started to die and left me swimming in. In the past several years, there have been numerous days when the East winds didn't peak until 11 or 12, and they will often blow until 2 or 3 now.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If being at Blackberry first gives kiters exclusive claim to it, they lose access everywhere else, most notably Rufus, the Hatchery, etc. Any other resolution shoots down their claim. Thus they have zero right to crowd you at Blackberry, let alone abuse and threaten you and your gear there.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
If being at Blackberry first gives kiters exclusive claim to it, they lose access everywhere else, most notably Rufus, the Hatchery, etc. Any other resolution shoots down their claim. Thus they have zero right to crowd you at Blackberry, let alone abuse and threaten you and your gear there.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was pissed at the kiters or that they were doing anything pushy or out of line with what we see at any crowded launch...I just have not seen a 'mostly kite' rigging and launch in full tilt wind and rigging frenzy mode and I was amazed at how they pull it off.

Kites do take more room to rig and they do need to lay out their lines...No problem, none of them was rude or proprietary about that launch, they were all fine with me being there too, I think.

I could have rigged-down in the street, or staked out part of the lawn or whatever...I've had to rig in some pretty crappy left over space, due to not enough room for the whole crowd, plenty of times before and I don't mind...

But...there's always a butt... Watching all those potentially lethal strings whipping around and having the big powerful kites zooming right over my head, having strangers, to me and to each other, walking a few yards upwind of me, down a slippery grass slope with a kite in hand and strings in big loops, flying in the wind... That made me decide I didn't want to be there anymore...
I'll probably launch from another spot next time..

I don't like rigging on the downwind end of Rowena, either...especially having seen, numerous times, flying loose rigs do big damage there due to 'operator error' during rigging or sail changes..

I hope we don't have turf wars...it seems like we get along pretty well sharing spots and being a little smart about it. If that point was the only launch in Stephenson, I'd be ok with working around the kites, but there are plenty of places to get in, and that one seems pretty suited to kites, for advanced kiters..Spectacular to watch them do their thing there...

I can see, maybe, where the Slingshot group came up with that name (if they pioneered launching 'primitive' kites there)...I bet a few kiters have been shot out of the water and up into the parking lot there..grin..
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to the guy that remembers the Stevenson noon whistle. I can remember windsurfing at "East Point" when there were creosote soaked logs and carpets for rigging. So, I feel like I'm grandfathered in to use the launch. I stay out of everyone's way and get up wind beyond the orange channel marker. I kite from there too, but not when it's averaging upper 20's. As bad as the launch is the landing is worse. Drop the kite quick and hope someone jumps on it.

Both Friday and Saturday the winds held up in the afternoon. If that's the new pattern I'm all for it. Warm noonish easterlies beat cold 8AM any day. Did anyone sail early? The trends looked awful.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how Blackberry beach got into this conversation, I think the OP was
talking about Kite point, which is between Bob's Beach and the Boat Ramp on
the Washington side. I've launched with Kiters at Blackberry(Oregon side),
but they always seem to walk down the trail (down wind of the windsurfer
launch on an Easterly) to make the launch safe for themselves and
for windsurfers.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cascade747

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Stevie on Saturday also. It is impressive to watch the kite launching/landing on east or west winds and the cooperation and helpfulness of kiters and sailors is refreshing. I have always felt welcome there and usually ask the Dangler for sail size recommendations. I usually end up sailing with a bunch of kiters especially in winter because my husband kites and I windsurf (and not many seem to windsurf in the winter in the northwest anymore). I view kiting/windsurfing as similar to when snowboarding (vs skiing) came into the mainstream. Be aware of your environment and others, helpful, and have fun. As Rodney King said, "can't we all just get along?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: