myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stephenson launches..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cascade747 wrote:
I sailed Stevie on Saturday also. It is impressive to watch the kite launching/landing on east or west winds and the cooperation and helpfulness of kiters and sailors is refreshing. I have always felt welcome there and usually ask the Dangler for sail size recommendations. I usually end up sailing with a bunch of kiters especially in winter because my husband kites and I windsurf (and not many seem to windsurf in the winter in the northwest anymore). I view kiting/windsurfing as similar to when snowboarding (vs skiing) came into the mainstream. Be aware of your environment and others, helpful, and have fun. As Rodney King said, "can't we all just get along?"

Iso is the only one creating a conflict here. I think he fancies himself as Clint Eastwood in Gran Tornino: "Get off my lawn."
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
I didn't mean to give the impression that ... they were doing anything pushy or out of line with what we see at any crowded launch ... laying strings across my board and sail ...

I got the impression the lines over your gear may have been attached to kites and that you may have been rigging at the time. That would have inexcusable at ANY beach, crowded or not. Glad to hear I misunderstood.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when it used to be parked out from Bob's to the Boat launch? HV would be parked out almost to Hwy 14. and over to the bathrooms. We would crawl down the rocks at the ball fields to launch.
The Blackberry beach reference was confusing.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Kiters laying their lines over your stuff... :

My experience is that is just what the kiters do. It's a temporary state until they are ready to launch. They mean no harm. Smile Just be careful not tangle their lines and all is good.

CU Sailin'

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:

It was in the original post.
jota

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the nostalgic reference: yes, I remember so many early fall mornings scraping frost off my windshield in HR to drive down for easterlies at Stevie or RR. Sometimes did the HV downwinder to Stevie, but it's hard to have the right sail - you'd invariably be way overpowered as you neared Stevie. Easy to hitch a ride back to HV.

Dalton to RR downwinder was better in my mind - the wind was pretty much the same all the way, and so much fun going around that big rock part way. Then when I hitched a ride back east, they'd let me off on the side of 84 and I'd have to run across the highway in my wetsuit, climbing over the median in the middle, since there's no eastbound off ramp for Dalton Point. Hmm, maybe not so safe . . .

The wind would be full strength by 8 am or so, then it would be dropping by 11 am and shut off pretty quickly thereafter.

I wonder why it's so different now?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
I remember so many early fall mornings scraping frost off my windshield

Off-topic tip: use warm-to-hot tap water instead. Takes seconds, have done it for >50 years with everything from frost to a centimeter of ice, on new or even chipped windshields, with never a problem.

It's nice to know I could now leave home after dawn rather than at 3 AM for easterlies.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
westender wrote:

It was in the original post.

I don't know all the current names, especially the new names of launches for Easterlies. I never much sailed easterlies even back when I was 100% focused on windsurfing as my main sport...when I did, it was downwinders from Home Valley or sessions off Kite Point...no other experience down there...well, one 2.8 day at Rooster on Halloween in a snow squall ...that was dumb...

I called that boat launch just east of what I know now is called Kite Point...I assumed that was Blackberry Beach (and I noted that in my original post) Back in the day, it was full of blackberries...Now it is home to lots of fly-swarming fish boxes and parked boats. But it looks pretty manageable as a sailboard launch...and they fixed it up all fancy now with changing rooms and parking lanes.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB is across the river, but that doesn't explain laying one's gear across someone else's. Maybe I'm a bit touchy after seeing kite line cut scars, seeing a guy rig ON my sail to keep his off the Hatchery rocks, and seeing a guy use my board as an anvil to beat on his finbox.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you've been witness to a lot of weird crap, I think you're kind
of a magnet for it ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
BBB is across the river, but that doesn't explain laying one's gear across someone else's. Maybe I'm a bit touchy after seeing kite line cut scars, seeing a guy rig ON my sail to keep his off the Hatchery rocks, and seeing a guy use my board as an anvil to beat on his finbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: