myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racing SUP to windsurf conversion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Racing SUP to windsurf conversion? Reply with quote

Have any of you ever converted a racing SUP to a windsurf by adding a mast track? Did it work alright? Are there any differences among racing SUPs that might make one or the other more or less amenable to successful conversion?

I've kinda got my eye on this one...

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/spo/4658709142.html

Of course I'd still want to SUP it in the local hobby sup races so I wouldn't want to totally ruin it for SUP.

Thanks.

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
No, I have never converted one, but was wondering how you plan on determining the proper placement of the mast track when you do this conversion?
W1
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably measure mast-track to finbox distance on my Exocet WindSUP and use that as a guide for where to put the mast track.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact same distance or proportioned out for the longer board?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about stressing the entire hull -- the deck at the new box, the finbox, longitudinal stiffness, for starters -- in ways and places it was not designed for? If the board cost you only a hundred bucks and is easily replaceable at that price, who cares? If not, buying a board designed for those loads makes more sense. Last I heard, even surfboards aren't up to the task.
antonius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Sportster is basically a race board with a bit more width for stability to make it more comfortable in rougher waters. It's available in regular and Open Ocean version in 12'6" and 14' and Wood or Carbon construction and all have a single hole in the board to screw in a mast base. I have the 14' Carbon and it's the fastest light wind board I have ever sailed. The 12'6" has the hole at 75" from the tail, the 14' at 82.5", both about 2 inches in front of the handle.
The only JP SUP boards that are not set up for windsurfing are the dedicated race boards that have the raised nose and most of the inflatables.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Starboard K15 is meant for SUP & Windsurf use. Looking at it might give you ideas.

If I was to do it, I think I would add a mast track, not just a mast plug, since I heard that the single plugs are not strong enough.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mast track added to a SUP with no problems at all including rough treatment in the surf.
The biggest problem I see is the shape of the deck where you will stand while sailing. It's flat or even concave instead of being domed like a typical sailboard.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the Starboard Serenity. In addition to the mast track I would put a deep tuttle box well forward of the existing fin box like the Serenity. This would allow you to stand further forward and go upwind way better. Serenity used a 70 cm. fin. Have always wanted one. A bit narrow at only 24" though.

Sounds like a fun project! If anyone can do it right it is you from what I have seen.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james is the man when it comes to modding boards. I'm sure he knows effective ways to strengthen where needed. On the other hand, the Gonzo SS is a single-layer laminate using a light EPS core.

Depending on what the boys at Bote say, perhaps buying a single-piece mast box (Chinook, I think) and building a cassette from divinicell with carbon wrap, all laminated to the bottom and top.

Remember, a board's rocker is put under a lot more pressure when windsurfing than when paddling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: