myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
racks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomasphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: racks Reply with quote

Anyone know of wall mount or freestanding indoor rack for storage of sailboard? Thanks,take care, Len
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a rack using rack shelving. It works fine. I store a board and the sail or 2 that go with it on a shelf. You don't need proper shelves, just the brackets themselves and you add pipe insulation foam tubing on top of them. The most used shelf supports my Kona One. I had to put tape on one bracket, under the foam, because the bracket would cut through the foam. The other brackets are not showing any problem after a few years of use.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/185-inch-white-twin-track-bracket/968190

The top shelf is pretty high, for the masts.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two oak dowels + two holes drilled in two studs + pipe insulation = rack for one board. Drill the holes with a bit of vertical angle so the dowels slope upwards a bit from the wall.

If you don't have studs or don't want to drill holes in your den (living room? kitchen?) wall, stand a pair of 2X4s against the wall, anchor at least the top with one screw and a washer. The bottom doesn't need to be anchored, and rests on the floor. You could use short sections of 2X4 and securely fasten them to the wall, but then where will you put your next 3 or 4 boards?

Free standing racks are a fall waiting to happen.

SEARCH the forum for informative and clever ideas from similar past threads.

Mike \m/
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know an electrician? 1/2" E.M.T. bent into a fishhook shape, covered with pipe insulation and the longer leg screwed to the wall makes an excellent/cheap rack.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Iso said... one other note- the dowels (1"-1 1/4") don't need to be glued in- just snug- then you can always take them out if you need access to the space... I did the same idea in a van- bolted two 2x4s to the side with dowels and pads- when I needed the van for use as a van instead of gear storage- just take out the dowels and it's all free and clear.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang them from the ceiling:

Webbing is cheap. Screws with washers so the screws don't pull thru the webbing. Adjustable. Free's up floor and wall space. Drain plug always pointing down. Provides a place to store masts. Doesn't need padding. Spreads out the load on the webbing. No worries about stuff falling against or on top of them causing damage. Room for many boards! Long boards not a problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road or for big board, definitely 1" or bigger. In my den with 15-pound boards, 3/4" oak works fine. If the dowels ever sagged, I'd rotate them. They haven't yet3 in several years.

A whole 'nuther idea if your garage is tall enough: upright, flat against the wall.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m going to install maybe 20 2 dollar shelf brackets, from Osh to store my boards upright, and maybe build a PVC box for my sails and booms. Masts can be stored betwee the two, upright in the garage.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upright:
Flat against wall: two eye screws, a bungee cord, and a tail pad.
Like books: a horizontal 2X4 with dowels in it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty much my process also, except I use 3/4 threaded pipe
and screw that into the holes (way in) in the 2X4. then pipe insulation on the pipes.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Two oak dowels + two holes drilled in two studs + pipe insulation = rack for one board. Drill the holes with a bit of vertical angle so the dowels slope upwards a bit from the wall.

If you don't have studs or don't want to drill holes in your den (living room? kitchen?) wall, stand a pair of 2X4s against the wall, anchor at least the top with one screw and a washer. The bottom doesn't need to be anchored, and rests on the floor. You could use short sections of 2X4 and securely fasten them to the wall, but then where will you put your next 3 or 4 boards?

Free standing racks are a fall waiting to happen.

SEARCH the forum for informative and clever ideas from similar past threads.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: