myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New report from La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: New report from La Ventana Reply with quote

From Kevin - today:
Hi Everyone, When we last wrote to you, Odile was still making her way up the state and took out the fiber optic line at Mulege. It cut out all internet and long distance. The line was restored but the power at the phone center in El Sargento went out. So no more phone or internet in LV/ES for a while. We have not seen a single CFE or Telmex truck yet. It is clear that they are very busy in CSL and will make their way up here. Angie said hurricane John left them without power for 13 days. I fear that this may be longer. As for most practical purposes this hurricane hit the entire state. Though damage in some areas was extensive (La Paz), we are looking a damage everywhere that will keep all the crews busy for sometime. We heard that the runway at SJD looks like it was bombed. I'm sure you are all hearing about the Los Cabos on the news, so I'll skip that part and move on to La Paz.

La Paz is dealing with some of the most extensive damage in its history. Several towers on the communications hill blew over. about 50% of the lower windows on the new ONE hotel just down from CFE blew out. Signs and poles fell all over. The Pemex at Cinco de Mayo and Serdan completely fell over into the street. The top deck of the Nahl Stadium blew off on to Cinco de Mayo completely blocking the street. At the intersection coming into La Paz from La Ventana 3 or four semi-truck trailers blew over, also one at the fireworks store on the way in.

The story here is the people. When Angie and I drove in on Tuesday to send out a report, all the power was out. People everywhere were cutting and dragging trees and branches out of the street and their homes to the sidewalks. I would not be exaggerating if I told you that at least every block lost 4 or 5 trees. There are probably 3-10 3 foot high piles of of rubbish being piled up on every street. As we watched people working or just staring in shock, we felt a bit awkward that we should not be looking, the way one does with an accident.

The lines at the few gas stations open, were 2-3 blocks long. We had filled up before the storm, so did not get in line. But we will today, to fill up our gas cans for the generator. We have not heard about the road down, but assume the Baja forums will be abuzz with info coming and we will leave it to them to get us that info. We have heard that several people in boats were lost at sea, but we have not been able to confirm the reports.

Once at the apartment in La Paz, the floors we soaked, the ceiling still dripping, no power no phone. We cracked a window open and turned around and heading back for LV/ES. I'm sorry I did not get photos out, but the internet went out befor I could send them. I will do so know after I get this email out.

If you want to know about us and how we are handling it, we are fine but stressed. It's not the hurricane it self, it's what comes afterward. Questions like, how much water do we have. Should we drive or walk to save gas. The pemex in El Sargento is no pumping. We have a freezer of food that we are trying to eat through before it goes. The drone of generators comes from all directions, our neighbor leaves his on all night, it makes sleeping difficult, but after three days of not sleeping, you block it out. I was so tired I fell asleep 15 feet away from our generator, I never woke up to shut it off, it ran out of gas eventually.

Then we get word of the storm named Polo and that it's following behind Odile. But all of our technology is gone. I can't look at a graphic or read NHC's reports. I need to see this to know what and when. But all I have are people saying it's coming but we can't trust others we have to know for sure our selves. It made cleaning up a bit difficult, all the things we want to put back to make life normal have to stay where they are till the next storm passes. In La Paz today we are relieved to see the NHC page and know that we will only have a chance of a tropical storm. I just want it to come and go so we can get things back in order.

It was difficult not being able to communicate. It was not until we heard that La Paz got its internet back, that we upped our scheduled trip, to be able to communicate with friends and families sooner. I will send this out now and get to work on uploading the photos from my phone. Quite a few people are asking us to check their homes, we will, if their is major damage we will get word to you right away, if not it will not be for a few days until we go to La Paz again. For those of you concerned about your homes and property, from what we have seen, there have only been a few cases of major damage, most of it to the locals. We have seen several papapas fall down, mostly those of the locals as well. Don't worry to much but contact us if you need assurances. Kevin and Angie
++
From Mary yesterday: We no longer have internet, land line phone, or cell in El Sargento/La Ventana. No electric and we are down the list below Cabo and La Paz to be fixed. You get more info than we but both towns are trashed. No gas here though you can wait in line in LaPaz. If anyone was planning to drive down this or next month be sure to check ahead, then be prepared back to primitive camping times, as my understanding Odile followed the road up to Guerro Negro then cut east but I do not know this for sure. May not be so bad because you never know what will get fixed first.

That's all from here. I know you are probably getting more info than us and photos to boot. Heard tha Salviteria Hospital is down, baseball stadium roof is laying on 5 May and the rest is collapsed. Tower Condos, behind the VW dealership, walls were virtually stripped off all however many stories it was - it was the tallest structure in LaPaz. Have not seen it with my own eyes yet.
++
From Dudley today: I've heard from the Baja Bush pilots that Loreto & La Paz airports are now open - they're supposedly flying down emergency food and clothing as I send this off. - I'm hoping our community down there gets food & water. Tough times for all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: